Interested in developing novel haptic experiences and wearable technology for VR?
We are looking for a student with a background in Electrical Engineering or Electronics Design for assisting in the development of a programmable temperature interface for immersive virtual reality experiences.
Wearable Systems Lab is a research group at the Department of Information & Communications Engineering (DICE) at ELEC. We are a multidisciplinary research group working on developing eTextiles-based wearable devices and augmented/virtual/mixed reality applications and devices. One of our research projects, EMIL (https://emil-xr.eu/lighthouse-projects/aalto-smart-garments/ ) focuses on studying how haptic interfaces, specifically temperature feedback, can contribute to Virtual Reality experiences.
As a demonstrator for this project, we are developing a programmable temperature interface to produce a thermal experience in a virtual environment. We are looking for an student to work with us on designing and programming a wearable circuit for controlling multiple temperature modules that can be effectively integrated into an e-textile based smart garment.
- Prototyping test bench for controlling and testing different textile-based actuators
- Collaborating with designers on the team to develop a circuit design and layout for the smart garment.
- Assisting in and contributing to preparing and conducting user studies
By joining the team, the student can expect to
- Embedded programming
- PCB design
- previous experience in working with e-textiles or wearable context is considered as a plus
- Get experience of working in an inter-disciplinary research environment
- Develop skills in combing haptics and VR
- Have an opportunity to contribute to the the emerging research in wearable computing and XR design
- Opportunity to extend the work into a thesis
The position will be a part-time research assistant (40-60%), starting in April 2023. The contract length will be for six months.
How to apply?
To apply, please submit your CV and transcript below by April 15, 2023.
Please note: Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position via our internal system Workday -> find jobs (not external aalto.fi webpage on open positions) by using their existing Workday user account.
If you have any questions regarding the project or application, please contact: Ramyah Gowrishankar (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tim Moesgen (email@example.com)
More about Aalto University: