Classroom Management Specialist (4722C) 5731
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome, and included. Our culture of openness, freedom, and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty, and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic, and social value in California, the United States, and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative, and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students, and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 22, 2020.
Job will remain open until filled
Classroom Scheduling and Management in the Office of the Registrar is responsible for the day-to-day operation and long-range planning for the campus's 208 general-assignment classrooms. The unit manages classroom space allocation for academic instruction, one-time classroom reservations, and special events. The Classroom Scheduling and Management Unit is responsible for overseeing the Classroom Hotline to which the campus can report any issues regarding room scheduling or maintenance, and submits and tracks maintenance requests to Facilities Services.
The Classroom Management Unit performs inspections of room interiors for inventory, maintenance issues, loss, theft, and vandalism and coordinates maintenance and custodial activities with the Facilities Services. The Classroom Management Unit assists the Campus Classroom Manager who is responsible for the design, planning and implementation of the renovations of all general assignment classrooms as directed by the Capital Renewal Program. The Classroom Management Unit oversees the Classroom Management Program, which employs ~60 student workers. This program monitors activity in the evening and weekend when staff are not present and makes sure classrooms are reset and ready for instruction for the following day.
Work Study Supervision/Delegation
- Responsible for supervising approximately 60 Classroom Management student workers in areas of classroom maintenance and managing classroom usage by campus.
- Delegate to and support five Program Coordinators in daily logistics and long-term program planning and improvement.
- Responsible for hiring and training student staff, managing performance outcomes, and coaching performance issues.
- Responsible for creating student work schedules for all shifts related to Classroom Management Program, adjusts work schedules for vacancies and absences, and is responsible for ensuring full staffing.
- Delegation of evening and weekend work; preparation of daily tasks, projects, and classroom management work.
- Works with Classroom Manager and analyst to understand areas of improvement for the Classroom Management Program. Provides analysis on operational business processes and summarizes needs and areas of improvement.
- Develop program performance objectives and measurable outcomes.
- Implement outreach plan according to program needs and goals for expansion.
- Maintain program budget and develop projections for future fiscal years.
- Assists with managing the scheduling unit's phones and emails from faculty and staff related to classroom scheduling and facilities issues.
- Assists with submitting maintenance requests to Facilities Services on all classroom maintenance issues needing repair.
- Respond to campus partners on the status of classroom logistics work requests and reports as necessary.
- Analyze and create reports regarding maintenance and repair issues and trends and resolves as appropriate.
- Oversee classroom furniture count to track missing and broken furniture. Creates a summary and assists with plan of action for replacement or repair.
- Oversee and coordinate fixed auditorium seating inspections. Track issues and determine if warranty or maintenance repair is necessary. Summarizes findings and reports to classroom analyst.
- Oversees and coordinates classroom maintenance inspections. Tracks and works with classroom manager determine course of action for repair or replacement.
- Reports on analysis of issues and bi-annual reporting of the classroom inspection process.
- Keeps detailed account info in order to track spending and assist supervisor with budgeting of classroom budget items.
- Cross-trained in academic and classroom reservation scheduling.
- Assist analyst with updating classroom database.
- Assist other Classroom Management and Scheduling department members as needed based on the volume of workload.
Knowledge and Skills
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS office suite applications, including Word, Excel, etc., and Google applications, such as Google Drive and Gmail.
- Ability to use multiple systems and learn new software quickly.
- Ability to access all areas of the campus.
- Experience working with large amounts of data and ability to analyze, interpret, and develop useful and insightful information from a variety of data sources.
- Self-motivated, willingness to learn, and takes initiative to improve quality of service.
- Ability to research and resolve problems independently.
- Takes responsibility for assignment completion and follow through.
- Bachelor's degree in related area or equivalent years of experience/training.
- Ability to motivate, communicate, guide, and evaluate student employees.
- Model development of good work habits such as punctuality, dependability, cooperation, honesty, and efficiency to student workers.
- Create environment in which differences are valued, encouraged and supported.
Planning and Organization
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact effectively with students, faculty, and administrative staff while displaying professionalism and tact.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and interact with a diverse population effectively and diplomatically.
- Promote an image of a high quality organization through expertise and responsiveness.
- Ability to prioritize, exercise initiative, and demonstrate sound judgment while effectively executing numerous tasks in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions and still meet competing deadlines.
- Skill in establishing priorities and handling multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to interpret and implement policies and established procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of student records following confidentiality rules established by FERPA, the state of California, and the University.
- High level of organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience in working in a high volume transactional environment
- Ability to adapt to changing environment, priorities, and procedures.
- Background in facilities and/or maintenance.
- Experience working in a confidential university environment.
- Knowledge of UC policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of campus buildings and general assignment classrooms.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with the campus classroom inventory (both general assignment classrooms and departmentally controlled space) the Class Schedule, database, and policies and procedures that govern general assignment classroom allocation for instruction, final examinations, and special events.
- Previous experience working in a higher education environment.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Hiring range is $26.48 - $28.34 per hour. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, career appointment.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5731&PostingSeq=1