API Developer (0652U) 7290
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Office of the CIO and Information Services & Technology (OCIO/IST) believe in and foster a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the OCIO/IST community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
We champion diversity.
We act with integrity.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
- Applies advanced applications programming concepts in designing, developing, modifying, debugging and evaluating highly complex APIs for functional areas.
- Responsible for providing analysis for highly complex existing programs and works to formulate logic for new systems/functionalities, devise logical procedures, prepare flowcharting, perform coding, data analysis, and test/debug programs, dealing directly with central departments and campus consumer system owners.
- Designs solutions that meet customization approaches and standards to sustain the future web applications upgrades and APIs re-platforming needs.
- Depending on projects/assignments, may lead major application enhancement/upgrade/implementation projects.
- Develops test plans and system implementation plans.
- Prepares and obtains approval of system and programming documentation.
- Initiates and recommends changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
- Understands industry practices and department policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
- Ensures that System Development Life Cycle and change management procedures are followed and documented to support each system development and change requests.
- Provides consultation, mentoring, and training on enhancing and expanding campus HR APIs to technical staff and functional users.
- Develops highly complex solutions designs, performs complex performance and integration testing.
- Develops and executes moderately complex test plans.
- May lead a team of applications programming professionals. Interacts with senior level personnel.
- Collaborates with other senior staff on complex technical issues and provides alternative solutions.
- Extensive hands-on experience in designing and developing high volume web services in Java using API Protocols and Data Formats (REST, JSON, SOAP & XML).
- Advanced level of experience in Java development.
- Experience with Java frameworks & technologies like Fuse, Spring, Junit, Mockito, JDBC.
- Experience with design principles and best practices in implementing REST APIs.
- Work with Jenkins and CI tools to automate dev, build, deployment and testing.
- Java development to implement service transformation, routing, enrichment and orchestration.
- Writing Junit test cases to validate the code quality and code coverage.
- Experience with BDD & Test Driven Development.
- Experience with test automation & reporting tools.
- Experience with Swagger.
- Cloud infrastructure (AWS/Azure/GCP).
- Docker container deployment.
- Microservices architecture.
- In-depth knowledge of publishing as well consuming of Web Services, REST Services.
- Strong understanding of Agile/Scrum principles.
- Experience in SQL.
- Effective conflict resolution and strong communication skills.
- The ability to work effectively with a diverse group of employees.
- Ability to lead within a diverse environment.
- Welcomes differing skills, outlooks, and experiences of others working toward shared goals.
- Someone with a sense of urgency with good time management skills.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Preferred experience in PL/SQL.
- Preferred xperience with Ruby on Rails.
- Preferred experience with PostgreSQL + NoSQL databases.
- Preferred experience with Atlassian tools like JIRA, Confluence, and etc.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=7290&PostingSeq=1