iN HOUSE ONLY
Plans, organizes and manages the network services division of the Instructional and Information Technology Services (IITS) department. Provides sophisticated and effective enterprise network infrastructure, voice and data network services, and workstation and data center services that support achievement of District technology goals.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Senior Director, IT Infrastructures and Systems directs and integrates the development network architecture and administration of infrastructure enabling operations among district computer users and subscribers, network standards and configuration, wide area database integration, and telecommunications. The Senior Director requires the ability to integrate these services, optimize users' access to information supporting decisions, transactions, access, and ensure secure, continuous operations. The Senior Director also requires the ability to participate as a peer with other Senior Directors to develop the capabilities within IT that support business and academic computing and growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plans, organizes, directs, and evaluates the work of staff engaged in network design and architecture, infrastructures, telecommunications, analytics, and support. Establishes departmental standards, work plans, and priorities.
* Participates in the development and implementation of IT's strategic and business plans, goals, and objectives and leads and directs staff in the development and application of new processes and technologies to achieve efficiency, productivity and customer service.
* Establishes standards for staff, monitors, coaches, and evaluates the performance of staff to departmental requirements and personal development targets. Monitors the work of staff and offers coaching for continuous performance improvement and development.
* Directs the work of staff and contractors for the conceptual and detailed design of District network infrastructures that support local and remote voice, data, video and wireless communication. Directs and monitors development of infrastructure and/or hardware/software migration projects and in developing IT policies and standards.
* Serves as project director/owner's representative for large scale, enterprise-wide server installation and conversion and operating system upgrade projects. Reviews and approves project scope of work, detailed project plans, milestones and deadlines. Recommends selection, design, and configuration of servers, devices, and wiring.
* Plans for and directs the connection of new and remodeled buildings to the campus voice and data networks. Participates in construction management project teams to ensure proper adherence to District standards and codes.
* Directs and integrates the work of staff engaged in establishing and administering network infrastructure, configuring network and wireless connectivity for hardware and devices and resolving all levels of support.
* Coordinates network and infrastructure service activities with other technology sections and departments to optimize performance and use of installed systems in meeting customer needs.
* Consults with departments and users regarding the feasibility of alternative approaches to meeting technology and communications requirements. Works with District executives and campuses, through committees and one-on-one consulting, to prioritize development and enhancement requests.
* Serves as the District liaison for working with telecommunications and broadcast equipment suppliers and local/long distance service providers to ensure telecommunications requirements and reliability standards are met.
* Serves as project director for district-wide voice telecommunications development and implementation projects. Establishes the capability for maintenance of systems, including additions and moves of users, timely installation of equipment and wiring and periodic system maintenance activities.
* Directs and evaluates results of regular system audits and capacity/utilization checks, and troubleshoots user problems. Periodically evaluates the competitiveness of vendor and provider cost structures.
* Stays up-to-date with advancements in information system and computing technologies and capabilities.
* Performs other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.