Facilities Services IT Manager (0667) - 27354 - 1171
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
IT Process and Technology Planning:
- Administers IT policies and develop technologies and processes that directly affect the FS department and customers.
- Makes recommendations and implements decisions on issues that have department-wide impact.
- Develops, implements, and manages the FS Information Systems based on a thorough understanding of organizational objectives and business rules.
- Executes a plan to ensure stability and security in business practices and provides support to end users through maximum system efficiency and automation.
- In conjunction with peers, manages the analysis of the needs of functional departments and helps to establish priorities for feasibility studies and systems design and implementation to develop new and/or modify information processing systems.
- Coordinates with functional departments involved in system requirements, application needs, techniques, and controls.
- Provides leadership to create a collaborative, cross-departmental work environment, facilitating the attainment of institutional objectives and enabling technology as a tool for the organization.
- Contributes to the Leadership Team and other department-wide committees and project groups as needed.
Application management, support and maintenance
- Oversees the management and administration of IBM's Maximo, Facilities Services' asset management solution.
- Oversees the selection, design, configuration, support, and maintenance of mission-critical business software applications and technical solutions for the unit.
- Applies knowledge of and experience with business analysis, project management, and application management.
- Reviews controls and operating guidelines for standards for input/output controls, audit controls (including security and backup issues), inventory management, and computer operations.
Security and Data Management:
- Ensures compliance with all Federal, State, Office of the President, UC Berkeley, and UC Berkeley Information Systems and Technology (IS&T) regulations concerning data security, storage, and transmission, including, but not limited to, credit card processing; data encryption and access; and the protection of confidential data, such as Social Security numbers
- Collaborates with campus IT to manage the privacy and security of sensitive and confidential data transmitted over local and wide area data networks, assuring the security of data communications and networks by evaluating security threats and directing appropriate countermeasures.
- Develops, codifies, and documents all Information Systems policies, procedures, codes, data models, licensing information; trains staff and disseminates information, as appropriate
- Acts as an advisor to staff members to meet schedules and/or assist with technical issues.
- Oversees the performance management and employee development for all FS IT staff in consultation with HR.
- Ensures that all staff receives ongoing constructive feedback and coaching in addition to participating in formal annual performance evaluations and goal setting.
- Develops and monitors staff goals and objectives, performance standards, internal departmental controls, and evaluation tools for management oversight.
- Establishes overall direction for the IT unit, setting priorities, reviewing/updating staffing requirements, job definitions and performance standards, and training needs.
- Coordinate staffing for desktop services & user support with CSS-IT.
- Develops and manages the FSIT departmental budget. This includes the acquisition of hardware, software, and licenses; compliance with appropriate inventory management protocols; and the ongoing oversight of cost control measures.
- Five years of experience in information systems leadership and management
- Five years of experience overseeing a broad-spectrum of information systems functions including application administration, application development and support, and customer support/help desk
- Demonstrated experience in financial and operational management including knowledge of guiding principles, relevant laws, policies, and best practices
- Able to gather, organize, and analyze data in the completion of diverse functional assignments.
- Able to manage, lead and supervise operations and staff
- Capable of managing multiple and diverse priorities to support the needs and concerns of constituent user groups. Is able to resolve issues using established parameters and own judgment
- Strong leadership and political acumen with a commitment to excellence in service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills with ability to build beneficial relationships with internal and external departments and professional organizations
- High tolerance for change and ambiguity and the ability to develop and implement long-term objectives while providing direction for the immediate objectives
- Uses and applies advanced Information Technology principles, theories, and concepts to manage and provide solutions to more complex and multi-dimensional problems. Resourceful in staying current with emergent technologies
- Requires an in-depth knowledge of the applications programming development function and a broad knowledge of the IT organization
- Requires the ability to gather, organize, and analyze data in the completion of diverse functional assignments
- Able to resolve issues using established parameters and own judgment
- Uses and applies applications Information Technology theories and concepts to manage and provide solutions.
- Requires a broad working knowledge of the applications programming development function.
- Requires the ability to gather, organize, and analyze data in the completion of assignments.
- Possesses skills necessary to accomplish department/section objectives and address related problems and issues in an effective manner.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
-Experience within a higher education facilities setting or within a technical organization specialized in facilities management
-Knowledge of University of California policies and requirements for data and network security, including Departmental Security Contact Policy; Minimum Standards for Networked Devices
-Demonstrated experience in managing the selection and implementation of technology applications and tools, including documentation of stakeholder business process requirements; hardware/software needs; modifications and testing; staff training; and technical documentation
-Demonstrated experience implementing and managing enterprise asset management/maintenance management (EAM/CMMS) systems including mobile solutions for a facilities services-oriented organization
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1171&PostingSeq=1