Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Lead Sprinkler Fitter (7454C), Facilities Services - 34839
University of California, Berkeley
Lead Sprinkler Fitter (7454C), Facilities Services - 34839
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 10, 2022.
- Under general supervision, the Sprinkler Fitter is responsible for the installation, alterations, maintenance and repairs of all fire protection and fire control systems including the unloading, handling by hand or with power equipment and installation of all piping or tubing, appurtenances and equipment pertaining thereto, including both overhead and underground and underground water mains, fire hydrants and hydrant mains, standpipes and hose cabinets and sprinkler systems, sprinkler tank heaters, air lines and thermal systems used in connection with sprinkler and alarm systems, also all tank, pumps connected thereto, CO2 and dry chemical for fire protection and halon, and all work associated with Mist Systems, all Clean Agent Systems, all Early Detection Systems and/or Air Sampling Systems.
- Interact with UC shop personnel.
- Balance MOP and recharge responsibilities as directed by management.
- Duties include using the Work Order Scheduling Program to schedule and dispatch work requests.
- Check completed jobs for accuracy and perform timekeeping duties.
- Consult supervisor/or project superintendents who administer requirements and standards for modification projects.
- Keep accurate work records and complete paperwork in a neat and timely manner.
- Define and describe materials, tools and/or equipment, work methods and task sequences.
- Serve as liaison with clients, relaying their needs and requirements to the appropriate department or superintendent.
- Obtain materials and equipment when requested.
- Maintain records of materials ordered, utilized and billed to others.
- Adhere to all university and departmental safety guidelines. Attend job-related and safety training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must possess knowledge and/or ability to learn how to utilize the Work Order Scheduling Program to manage and assign shop work orders.
- Skill and ability to operate pipe machines, drills, sewer cleaning equipment, grinders and other hand and/or power tools needed to perform skilled related job tasks.
- Skill to select and utilize correct tools, techniques and methods for handling specific piping projects by applying thorough knowledge of codes and the skills of a craftsperson.
- Demonstrated ability to join dissimilar metals using the proper methods, techniques and materials.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (sewers, manholes, crawlspaces, and under floors) and to gain access to areas that normally require stairs and ladders to perform job tasks.
- Ability to safely move supplies and objects up to 75 pounds with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and ability to interact in a positive manner with campus community, including students, building managers, academic personnel, and craft personnel, in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to track jobs to completion and prioritize requirements; able to work and support shutdowns and project schedules to minimize interference with others.
- Ability to read information from equipment manufactures manuals, service requests, layout sketches, blueprints, appropriate state and local government codes, trade-specific manuals and practices, and to determine how the fixture or equipment should perform.
- Knowledge of relevant building codes and regulations.
- Ability to communicate clearly over the telephone and two-way radio.
- Ability to execute all job assignments in a timely manner.
- Must have completed a five year sprinkler fitter apprenticeship program and/or equivalent training or experience.
- Employee must possess three to five years journeyman experience in a comparable position or related experience in a university, hospital or large building complex and/or equivalent training or experience.
- Office of the State Fire Marshal Fire Sprinkler Certification.
- Must have or acquire and maintain AWWA backflow license or get a license within six (6) months of hire.
- C16 Contractors license preferred.
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=34839&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |