Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Assistant Director, Military & Veteran Services
Located in Boston's historic Fenway area, Simmons has a strong tradition of empowering women and challenging traditional gender roles. Simmons University was one of the first higher education institutions to prepare women to become leaders and has evolved to become a university offering a women's undergraduate program and graduate programs open to all.
You're joining our community at an especially exciting time as one of our strategic goals is to become the most inclusive campus in New England. You'll find that people who work here are truly committed to our mission of preparing students to become champions of social justice and leaders in their professions and their communities. This commitment and pride make for a dynamic workplace.
Simmons University is looking for an Assistant Director of Military & Veteran Services (Assistant Director) to join the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Services. Reporting to the Associate Vice President, the Assistant Director will participate in the development of a vision for an institution-wide military and veteran support model and growth strategy. Serving as the VA Certifying Official for the University, the Assistant Director will support prospective and current military and veteran students, and their families, throughout their academic program at Simmons, removing barriers to completion and impacting retention rates. From empowering students to navigate the University's administrative support services to advocating for students when concerns arise, the Assistant Director will play a critical role in the development of programs and initiatives to successfully integrate military and veteran students into the Simmons community.
As a University committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, we seek candidates who share these values and who have proven experience working with individuals across a broad spectrum of identities and experiences.
- Collaborate with university leadership to draft a veteran student strategy;
- Work with admission offices to support funnel strategies (e.g. community college partnerships, Veteran-specific recruitment travel/events);
- Advocate for institutional veteran-centric policies and procedures;
- Review current processes and procedures and collaborate on the implementation of new technologies and workflows to improve services to students;
- Plan and present Aid workshops on campus to current students and participate in webinars for the online population;
- Represent veteran students' concerns at university-wide meetings;
- Design opportunities for veteran community building across programs;
- Seek input from current student veterans to create support groups and social experiences that complement the academic experience, and develop a Simmons community of veterans;
- Develop internal and external communication materials for events and outreach;
- Develop workshops in coordination with other university services (ex: Career Services, Academic Advisors and Faculty, Student Support Services) to provide job readiness and transition skills;
- Serve as the staff liaison to the student veteran organization;
- Work with Student Life, Admission, and Advising to improve the first year experience for incoming student veterans, military members and families in order to help military students acclimate, matriculate, and persist.
- Collaborate with departments across the institution to create a seamless service experience for veterans - undergrad/grad, online/on the ground;
- Submit invoices/charges using a variety of methods including manual processing for Vocational Rehabilitation, certifications through VA-Once, and invoices through Go-Army, WAWF, and Ai-Portal;
- Advise and assist students with the VA application process in person, by telephone, and/or email;
- Collect, track, and log VA documentation and process in a timely manner;
- Confirm coursework and attendance in Colleague/Workday for VA students;
- Initial data entry of VA certification information in the VAOnce system;
- Work closely with Student Financial Services to ensure proper reporting of scholarship funding for military population as well as support their mission to ensure student financial stability, especially in the areas of access, financial wellness and loan indebtedness;
- Complete a monthly review on all VA student files to ensure that all necessary courses have been certified correctly, VA payments are correct, and document a review in the students' files;
- Maintain military student files in accordance with VA and TA regulations;
- Assist students with understanding their VA Educational Benefits;
- Coordinate data gathering for Veteran Services Annual Compliance Review with the State Approving Agency;
- Update relevant VA website databases (WEAMS) as needed/required.
Required Application Materials:
- Bachelor's degree;
- 3+ years of professional experience in Financial Aid;
- 2+ years of professional experience working with military and/or veteran populations including knowledge of military and veteran services policies and certification processes;
- Working knowledge of federal and state financial aid regulations and record-keeping requirements;
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with a commitment to quality service;
- Strong time management, prioritization and organization skills;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, and works well in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work within a budget
- Ability to work independently and across a team;
- Experience in financial aid reporting (i.e.; IPEDS, audit procedures).
- Cover letter (letter of interest)
Instructions to Applicants
: Please upload all
applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Assistant-Director--Military---Veteran-Services_R06092
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |