IT Equipment Purchasing Specialist (7359U) - 14073
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 21, 2021
The Office of the CIO and Information Services & Technology (OCIO/IST) believe in and foster a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the OCIO/IST community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
- We champion diversity.
- We act with integrity.
- We deliver.
- We innovate.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
- Gathers, analyzes, reviews, categorizes and oversees ticket assignments for technical support for divisional, institution-wide or multi-institutional users ensuring referral to appropriate level of services.
- Performs highest tier of technical support.
- Provides bridge between customer needs and highly technical applications and application groups (ex: mainframe, network), other technology service providers and third-party vendors.
- Serves as staff experienced professional on technical troubleshooting for the most difficult customer problems.
- Provides guidance to end users on IT policy and procedures.
- Identifies and addresses complex usability problems.
- Analyzes complex computer hardware problems and resolve issues that may have a strategic impact.
- Collaborate with vendors on warranty repairs, quotes for custom-built configuration, and price discrepancies.
- Manages a high volume of imaging computers, receiving orders, and asset management in the ticket system.
- The ability to handle complex orders, knowledge of computer hardware, and provide customer service.
- Configures and customizes complex software based on user needs.
- Creates complex scripts to accomplish work-related tasks.
- Implements and configures settings in services and systems to comply with business rules at a campus, medical center or other university entity.
- Understands marketplace and technology trends relative to user needs to provide input to technology and support direction for a campus, medical center or other university entity.
- Provides strategic input to system redesign or development efforts based on user needs.
- Manages projects.
- May function as a lead, scheduling and assigning work and providing technical guidance and work direction to student or career technical support staff at various levels.
- Provides technical training to junior employees.
- Monitor the e-Procurement workflow, as orders are routed to department requisition creators/approvers, which are converted into Purchase Orders by e-Procurement System, which is dispatched to vendors as official orders.
- Create and submit shopping carts through the e-Procurement system, shipping and receiving logistics, and asset management records on serialized items.
- Professional development and training
- Demonstrates problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of desktop and business / technical support systems.
- Demonstrated judgment to delegate / escalate issues appropriately.
- Financial experience with purchase orders, invoicing, and journal transfer.
- Reconcile any discrepancies with vendors, i.e, price discrepancies, failure to meet delivery deadlines, lost shipments, and return requests.
- Must be able to interact with campus department end users when necessary, providing excellent customer service, to help expand opportunities for teaching, research, and public service by delivering savings and efficient procurement services across UC Berkeley.
- Update purchase orders and the respective order ticket with the final purchasing information.
- Experience with vendor management.
- Handling custom orders and monitor orders with the vendor.
- The ability to understand the shipping and receiving logistics.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Thorough knowledge of desktop and business / technical support systems.
- Skills and abilities necessary to complete the most technical business / technical support functions.
- Demonstrated skill at project management processes.
- Demonstrated ability to construct and implement test plans for hardware and software.
- Experience conducting hardware and software tests, analyzing test results and producing reports of conclusions and recommendations.
- Extensive experience in use and knowledge of networking protocols such as DHCP, TCP / IP, etc.
- Requires interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated skill providing technical training to users at various levels of skill.
- Experience developing and administering formal technical training to users at a variety of levels.
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- In-depth understanding of divisional or institutional business processes to provide the highest level of support.
- Experience at providing technical and administrative work direction.
- Experience in use and knowledge of complex scripting languages.
- Demonstrated ability to configure and
- customize moderately complex software.
- Advanced skill at creating technical documentation for complex processes and applications.
- In-depth knowledge of server internals, especially as needed for troubleshooting and isolating issues.
- Broad knowledge of IT-related products and services.
- General knowledge of other areas of IT.
- Demonstrated skill in configuring, troubleshooting and supporting end user client systems including desktop,
- laptop and mobile computing devices.
- Working knowledge of enterprise system functions, dependencies and interactions and ability to use this
- information to troubleshoot.
- Thorough knowledge or ability to learn the unit's business processes.
- Working knowledge of or abiltity to quickly learn the organization's computer requirements, recommendations and policies including security standards.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=14073&PostingSeq=1