Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Sr. Custodian (5116C) - 40874
University of California, Berkeley
Sr. Custodian (5116C) - 40874
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Residential and Student Services Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of RSSP. RSSP provides residential student housing, family housing, residential life programs, facilities services (maintenance/design, custodial, desk operations) self-operated dining services for undergraduate and graduate students and their families, as well as child care services for students, faculty, and staff. RSSP also conducts a year-round conference business, operates seven campus restaurants, and manages several faculty apartments.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 08/25/2022.
Provide quality customer service during each interaction with internal and external customers.
Operate, maintain, set up and dismantle a full range of cleaning equipment. This includes, but is not limited to the following items: vacuum cleaners, buffers, pressure washing equipment, wet/dry vacuums, floor scrubbing and/or polishing machines.
In offices, lounges, student common areas, lobbies, hallways, stairwells, walkways, outside steps, terraces, balconies, trash and laundry rooms, kitchenettes, and other designated areas:
- Dust, wipe, and clean moldings, windowsills, handrails, door tracks, radiators, furniture, inside windows on all floors and outside windows on ground floor levels, and other designated areas.
- Sweep, mop, and clean floors and stairwells.
- Strip or scrub floors using buffers, auto scrubbers, and other designated equipment.
- Vacuum, sweep, shampoo, and spot-clean rugs, carpet and other materials.
- Clean, polish and wax floors and some furniture.
- Clean fireplaces, mantels, screens; laundry machines; kitchen appliances.
- Clean and disinfect shower stalls; urinals and toilets; wash basins/sinks; mirrors, frames and shelves; painted and/or glass walls, partitions and doors; windows; locker fronts; ceiling, light covers and vents.
- Replace paper products as needed.
- Pick up trash and debris. Clean and empty wastebaskets and other receptacles.
- Pull trash chutes.
- Remove and transfer compost and recycling items to central location.
- Clear minor drain stoppages.
- Report damage and maintenance repair needs.
Residential/Meeting Room Set-ups: Move and set up folding/stationary tables weighing up to 40 lbs.; arrange chairs and other furniture; clean rooms; follow check list for set-up arrangements and amenities to be provided on the tables. Clean chalk/white boards and rails.
Perform occasional overtime and other custodial duties as requested by supervisor.
- Dust and clean light fixtures, Venetian blinds, vent covers, upholstered furniture.
Under the direction of either the Custodial Supervisor or Lead Custodian, the position performs some or all of the following tasks when cleaning student rooms at move-out:
- Remove all trash, tacks, tape, posters, papers and any other items adhered to any surface.
- Sweep and vacuum carpeted floors.
- As a team, move furniture weighing up to 240 lbs.; move furniture by rotation and ensure all areas of the floor are cleaned.
- Vacuum corners, under radiator, top of drapes, desk, drawers, back of drawers, foot lockers/drawer units; closets/wardrobes.
- Clean windows, sills, mirrors and light fixtures.
- Wash and damp-wipe all areas and surfaces of all furniture including closets/ wardrobes; footlockers/chests of drawers; bookcases; desks and desk chairs; chests of drawers; and under bed storage units.
- Wash and clean trash can walls, windows and tracks; and doors inside out.
- Turn mattresses and replace mattress pads.
- Report any damages.
- Collect, document location item was found, and turn any items forgotten by residents in to the Supervisor.
- Make beds, both independently and as a team with another Sr. Custodian. As a team, move furniture weighing up to 240 lbs. Empty trash, clean all surfaces, vacuum/sweep, put out amenities, change towels and linen, and report any damages.
- Bag and accurately count all linen. Deliver linen to buildings and ensure that all linen procedures are followed.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Custodial cleaning operation experience, including experience in use of custodial equipment such as buffers and floor machines, power washers, blowers, and vacuum cleaners.
- Knowledge of cleaning products and methods used to maintain different types of floor surfaces (tile, wood, cement, carpet).
- Knowledge of healthy and safe work practices, personal protective equipment (PPEs), and MSDS sheets.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lb. and move up to 100 lb.
- Ability to learn and practice security procedures related to unlocking/locking/securing of buildings and keys.
- Basic English skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking), including ability to read documents, MSDS and warning labels in English.
- Ability to comprehend technical and safety documentation and follow oral and written instructions related to the use of position-related equipment, tools, and the safe use of chemicals.
- Ability to communicate clearly and convey information effectively in person, radio, etc.
- Ability to gain basic understanding/knowledge of University environment, mission, and operational needs.
- Ability to work with minimum of supervision in isolated areas, or in a building with heavy customer traffic.
- Basic skill to evaluate, trouble-shoot inquiries, establish priorities, follow plans and complete goals/objectives.
- Ability to maintain respectful, civil, professional, and customer-friendly behavior.
- Excellent customer service skills, which include ability to take customer requests in customer-friendly manner and follow through.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Experience in custodial services, preferably in a college/university housing, hotel or property management.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) non-exempt career position, which is paid bi-weekly and eligible for full UC Benefits. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.htm
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/sx/index.html
This is a 10:00pm to 7:00am position Friday to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday days off.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position requires a criminal background check. This position meets the following background check criteria: Possession of building master or sub-master key, access to residences and certain other facilities (position performs work in student-occupied spaces).
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=40874&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |