Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Communications Coordinator (7477U) - EECS
University of California, Berkeley
Communications Coordinator (7477U) - EECS
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The College of Engineering at UC Berkeley is recognized for its educational and research excellence, consistently ranking among the top three Engineering colleges in the United States. With more than 230 regular faculty members, 1,940 graduate students and 3,250 undergraduate students located in seven academic departments. Engineering is the second largest college on the Berkeley campus. Operating expenditures for the College are close to $200 million annually.
The Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (EECS) in both the College of Engineering and the Division of Computing Data Science and Society, is the largest department on the Berkeley campus consisting of over 130 faculty, adjunct, active emeriti and PIR appointments, 3,400+ undergraduates both in the College of Engineering and Letters and Science, 650+ graduate students, and 60+ staff members. EECS programs are consistently ranked in the top three by many measures, including U.S. News & World Report's national and global ranking. Annual operating budget not including research expenditures for EECS is $37+ million.
The Department is actively engaged in teaching and research in the disciplines of Artificial Intelligence, Computational Biology, Databases, Graphics, Hardware / Architecture, Human Computer Interaction, Operating Systems / Networking, Programming Systems / Software, Scientific Computing, Theory, Vision (in Computer Science) as well as Biosystems, Communication/Networking, Communications/Physical Layer, Control, Design, Modeling, and Analysis, Electromagnetics/Antennas, Integrated Circuits, Optics, Physical Electronics Devices, Physical Electronics/MEMS, Optoelectronics, Energy, Robotics, Signal Processing for Image & Video, Signal Processing for Speech & Audio (in Electrical Engineering). Computer Science operates research and instructional laboratories in Soda Hall and Sutardja Dai Hall, and Electrical Engineering operates like facilities in Cory Hall and Sutardja Dai Hall. EECS also has a significant technical staff support structure to provide support for research and instructional laboratories and fabrication facilities.
The EECS website and printed publications deliver information about department education, research programs and services externally to prospective students, the technical industry and the public in general. Communication materials developed by this position impact student enrollment, college ranking, industrial relations and the technology industry and U.S. state and national government agencies.
This position involves recommending, developing, implementing, administering, coordinating, and/or evaluating the electronic, media, visual, written communications needs of the department. It serves as the sole web and print designer for the EECS department. Key functions of this position include website development, producing communications or instruction using the web, audio, video, and other electronic media, which may involve writing, editing, designing, and/or production. The position also involves producing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating the production of printed and/or electronic books, catalogs, publications, manuscripts, promotional and other materials. Partners with the Department Chairs and Director of Operations, External Relations Group (XRG), faculty, writers, web programming specialists, project directors and related staff in the preparation and production of proposed electronic, media, and written publications following campus established publishing specifications.
In addition, this position collaborates with staff and faculty in the organization of various key events hosted by the department including the Berkeley EECS Annual Research Symposium (BEARS) and a number of events coordinated by the EECS Center for Student Affairs (Student Awards Ceremony, Student Visit Days, EECS Honors Dinner, Cal Day, etc.).
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 30, 2022 - Open Until Filled
On your resume, please include a URL to at least one website that you built and maintain.
50% EECS Department Communications Management:
Manages comprehensive communications programs, including written, visual, and electronic communications. Advises and consults with departmental/college administration regarding all aspects of communications including developing strong communications strategies that effectively deliver the desired message, policy interpretation, and problem resolution. Ensures production of high-quality products that effectively deliver the desired message within budget and time constraints.
- Responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Berkeley EECS department website system via multiple Content Management Systems.
- Manages the department's offsite content and official web presence across various sites in the cloud including campus resources, sharing apps, and social media. Understands the overarching structure of the department's web and media framework.
- Partners with staff and faculty to ensure that all web content is technically accurate, grammatically correct, comprehensible, consistent, and appropriate. Ensures that site features and operations are functional.
- Maintains site metadata, configure Google site search and analytics.
- Works with other entities to plan future web and media implementations and development
- Designs, creates, and organizes content for all areas of the EECS website. Produces flyers and wall display content. Builds templates in CSS for database content integration.
- Writes and posts daily news blurbs; drafts articles profiling people and research. Parses and summarizes scientific and technical material for a lay audience.
- Oversees the department's social media feeds on LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter; manages EECS Events YouTube channel.
- Creates, collects, organizes, and shares department images. Takes photos of department events and community. Edits photos in all formats for multiple uses and layouts.
- Designs conceptual graphics for a variety of print and web applications.
- Uses raw demographic data to create tables, graphs, and charts.
- Independently performs web research to confirm data accuracy and sources, and to provide background for bios and profiles. Evaluates validity of web sources.
- Reviews and approves events for the department event calendar throughout the day.
- Gathers, evaluates, and presents department demographics and rankings from a variety of sources.
25% Long and Short-Term Strategic Communications Planning and Management:
Partners with the Department leadership and EECS community to create, develop, and implement long and short-term strategic communications plans and/or projects. Identifies specific communications needs and develops the content and process for organizational improvements.
- Partners with Chairs, staff, labs/centers, campus, and affiliates to develop strategies and messaging for PR and media campaigns, event promotions, and informational bulletins, etc.
- Leads promotional campaigns for department and campus events, including media and web infrastructure support for special conferences, colloquia, meetings.
- Responsible for making announcements/sharing news with other campus units, affiliated entities, industrial partners, the press, and the public; cultivates a network of campus communications and media contacts; determines appropriate material to promote on EECS website.
- Fields wide spectrum of questions from the general public about the department; partners with other team members to assess, advise, and coordinate appropriate responses.
- Serves as a primary department lead person to provide advice and guidance on policies related to compliance with campus branding, communications, ethics, accessibility, copyright, intellectual property, and other legal obligations (e.g., secures permission to use photos from subjects and photographers; uses available tools for web quality assurance; makes sure data security and privacy requirements are met, etc.).
15% Communications Resource Management/Liaison:
Serves as a primary person to advise and guide staff and faculty on communication tools and media resources.
- Advises staff on best practices, communications etiquette, accessibility, usability, and privacy requirements; provides training.
- Advises EECS staff in determining the most appropriate location within the department web structure for data based on function, security, and access requirements; describes available media options and makes recommendations.
- Guides staff in making changes to website; notifies them when posted deadlines have passed, links have expired, and material appears incorrect, inconsistent or outdated.
- Advises staff with event planning to ensure that web support infrastructure is in place and utilized correctly; provides web functionality and helps draft copy.
10% Special Events/Projects and Professional Development:
- Partners with the department leadership, XRG, and other staff team members on special ad-hoc communications projects as needed (e.g., external relations communications including alumni and donor relations, etc., partnering with other team members).
- Collaborates with staff (XRG, CSA, and other EECS staff teams) in coordinating various events hosted by the department.
- Stays current on various communications standards and best practices and maintains technical knowledge by participating in various development workshops, seminars, meetings, etc., and reviewing professional materials as appropriate.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace.
- Experience with a variety of social media venues.
- Experience with at least one Content Management System (Drupal, WordPress).
- Experience planning and building a website.
- Ability to edit raw HTML/CSS.
- Knowledge of all aspects of the communications field, including developing and implementing effective long- and short-term strategic plans, and negotiating needed resources and applications.
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, editorial style, and punctuation, including skill to write in a clear and lively style.
- Ability to grasp technical requirements, applications, and design concepts in order to personally perform technical work and effectively communicate with technical staff.
- Ability to synthesize and represent the department organization, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices, and infrastructure, and contribute perspectives gleaned from a strong understanding of current affairs and topical issues in higher education.
- Discernment while collaborating with management on sensitive issues and messaging.
- Aptitude for photographing people and events, and documenting subjects.
- Experience with campus resources (bConnected, Berkeley Calendar Network, CalAnswers, SiteImprove).
- Familiarity with campus policies and practices (WebAcces, Berkeley Brand, FERPA).
- Experience with media print and web protocols for photos, videos, and graphics.
- Experience with data analytics.
- In lieu of comprehensive technical experience, a demonstrated capacity to quickly learn new applications and protocols will be considered.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This is a 100% FTE, career position.
The position requires 3-4 days on campus and 1-2 days remote.
On your resume, please include a URL to at least one website that you built and maintain.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=35939&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |