Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
This position has a work designation of hybrid.
What You'll Do
The Senior Network Application Engineer plays a key role in supporting mission critical systems, services and applications within the Networking space. In addition to managing the life cycle of these services, the position will help drive automation and programming skills forward in the Network Services team.This position is responsible for the management and functionality of technical application systems, such as DNS and DHCP, critical to the function of the University data network, and is expected to. make decisions regarding the future direction for these systems.
This position will play a key role in managing vendor relations for various high profile applications in use by Network Services related to authentication, DNS, DHCP and a IPAM database. In addition to handling the production level services, the role will manage Network Management Systems (NMS) such as vendor provided management appliances and various open-source utilities. Vendor relationship management responsibilities include product road mapping, planning for upgrades and researching supported features for the various applications and services. Helping to maintain the OS and other critical vitals (hard drive space, memory usage, etc) is key along withcollaborating with the Networking team to solicit feedback and improvements in any area.
The ideal candidate must have strong scripting/programming skills to aid the group in various tasks to help automate components of the managed network. Experience with tools such as Ansible and other related codesets used in a “Devops” environment is also an important requirement for the position. Experience with DDNS and DNSSEC would be ideal. The candidate also must also possess experience with authentication protocols such as RADIUS (including related protocols such as WPA2 and 802.1X) and certificate and troubleshooting as these are heavily used in our environment
What We're Looking For
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• Knowledge and experience typically acquired through a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field with 5+ years’ of experience .
• Expert level knowledge with DNS (including Dynamic DNS), DHCP, Radius, 802.1X and TACACS+
• Basic exposure with in network and infrastructure design experience and demonstrated operations experience with complex routed IP networks, layer two/three switches, advanced routers, firewalls, LAN/WAN networking hardware and protocols.
• Current hands-on experience in the configuration management and operation of Cisco switches, routers and wireless networking.
• Working experience with networking technologies and protocols including but not limited to TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Dynamic DNS, OSPF, BGP, MPLS, SIP/VOIP, STP/RST and QOS.
• Exposure and experience in networking stacks in Cloud providers such as AWS and Azure
• Knowledge of current vendors including Bluecat (DNS/DHCP), Cisco (802.1X/Networking), Arista (Networking), Fortinet (Firewalls) and F5 (Load Balancing)
• Demonstrated skills in leadership and experience in mentoring staff and training and/or informal knowledge share for others
• Experience in leading projects and project management, working with cross-functional teams to collaboratively complete tasks, manage resources and deliver results within target timelines.
• The ability to share in an on-call rotation and to provide support outside of normal business hours as needed while on-call and for occasional planned maintenance events.
• This position requires that the employee provide their own mobile device capable of sending and receiving business email, text/SMS and phone calls. The employee will receive a standard rate of partial reimbursement for this expense.
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Knowledge of Bluecat DNS, DHCP and IPAM systems
• Knowledge of various network management applications including Cisco DNAC, PRTG and tools such as Rancid, and Netflow.
• Experience working in the Higher education field.
• Industry standard certification or delegation such as CCNA, RHCE, MCSE, CCNP, CCIE.
• Effective communication skills and experience speaking and presenting in front of small groups.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.