Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Analyst, Business Analysis and Market Research - Tufts Office of Strategy & Program Development
The Tufts Office of Strategy & Program Development tackles the most interesting and pressing challenges in higher education through critical strategic planning, advisory, and analytical support. The Office serves the University as a partner to Tufts’ schools and the central administration in the identification and development of mission-related opportunities that transform the University’s model for sustainable success in the 21st century higher education ecosystem. We achieve this mission by providing business analysis and project management expertise for transformational strategic initiatives (often serving as an internal consulting agency), by providing best-in-class market research and business analysis to the Tufts community, by partnering with schools and units across the university to build strategic portfolios of educational programs, and by supporting the university’s strategic planning processes and the cultivation of a strategic mindset in all areas of the institution. Led by an Executive Director, the Office reports to the Executive Vice President and works closely with the Office of the Provost in establishing and implementing its priorities. The Office is comprised of two teams: the Strategic Transformation team and the Strategy & Analytics team. A pool of Analysts at various levels support the analysis, research, and operations of both teams.
What You'll Do
The Analyst is responsible for supporting critical market research, data analysis, project management, and day-to-day unit operations. The Analyst supports the Office data analytics and reporting efforts, coordinating with related University offices to develop or refine systems and tools to inform decision-making, drive insights, and innovation on a wide variety of questions ranging from major strategic initiatives to program ideation and development to resource allocation. The Analyst is allocated to project-based initiatives and ongoing efforts in either of the Office’s teams based on the Office’s strategic priorities and the individual’s preferences, to the extent possible.
The Analyst runs analytical tools, databases, and processes for the efficient, ongoing monitoring and presentation of key trends, metrics, and information that help individuals at all levels of the organization stay informed on the market and university environment. The position conducts detailed market research and analyses, including but not limited to benchmarking, labor data analysis, conferrals analysis, financial analysis and makes recommendations in written reports. The position supports project management for various strategic initiatives undertaken by the unit, including tasks such as scoping discussions, drafting and managing project timelines, developing functional specifications, coordinating meetings and agendas, tracking outstanding tasks and questions, communicating to stakeholders and project sponsors, and ensuring that project deliverables are met. The position contributes to the Office’s broader strategic efforts, including writing content for Tufts Market Mindset newsletter.
Market Research & Business Analysis
- Execute advanced analyses to support strategic decision making and advance university priorities, including but not limited to identifying top opportunities for new program development / growth, developing business cases to inform investment decisions, and conducting ad hoc analysis as requested by senior leadership
- Develops approaches to and conducts market research using primary and secondary sources on a wide range of topics, including but not limited to
- External competitor / peer school / internal benchmarking and interviews
- IPEDS data
- Labor/Employment market
- Keyword / search terms
- General higher education topics and sources
- Analyzes data from a wide variety of sources to produce outputs; including but not limited to
- Analysis on market research data (above)
- Application and enrollment funnel analysis
- Financial analysis
- General business analysis
- Generates key findings and actionable recommendations by synthesizing market research, data analysis, and knowledge of Tufts / higher education / other industries
- Supports the development and delivery of formal reports and presentations summarizing meaningful findings and recommendations for an executive audience
- Supports the unit’s key strategic communications – Tufts Market Mindset and the Innovation Roundtable – through research, analysis, and writing
- Maintains database and reporting tools for standardized data pulls, analyses, or outputs as needed
- This includes day-to-day management of the school Programs Database, a Salesforce database containing details of all university programs and program proposals
- Coordinates with Finance, Office of Institutional Research, school administrators, internal technical support teams, third-party market research data providers, and any other constituency required to coordinate data, analytical, and reporting functions
Office / Team Management
- Engages in Office-wide and University-wide planning, committees, and environment, proactively contributing to the Office and University as a whole beyond day-to-day work
- Manages a number of administrative tasks, as required, including but not limited to preparing and printing meeting materials, scheduling meetings, providing minor technical support during newsletter distribution and webinars, etc.
- Participates in professional development, coaching, mentorship, and review processes
- Helps to develop and contributing ‘practice building’ the Office of Strategy & Program Development as it grows over time
This individual will also:
- Get things done, be comfortable with periodic ‘sprints’, have an all-hands-on-deck mentality, and be comfortable having clear performance targets and being measured against them on a regular basis
- Be comfortable with receiving direction and working independently to create solutions and proposals relative to that direction
- Be comfortable knowing the scope of the role and the balance of work across the stated responsibilities may evolve and change to best serve the needs of the university over time
What We're Looking For
Knowledge and skills as typically acquired by:
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum work experience including either 1-2 years of work experience or an academic year/summer internship in a business analysis- and/or market research-intensive role
- Strong creative problem-solving, analytical, and quantitative skills
- Strong and demonstrable
- Business and/or market research and analysis skills
- Ability to synthesize recommendations for various audiences (e.g., summaries reports, powerpoint presentation, email)
- Communication skills, including verbal and business writing, in a variety of settings (e.g., one-on-one, large groups, presentations, junior stakeholders, peers, executives)
- Module and/or task management experience
- Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work as an individual contributor and/or on a small team
- Results-oriented – willingness to be hands-on and to execute in addition to thinking big picture; willingness to learn and grow
- Flexible – able to shift and adapt with projects and as the department/office grows
- Proactive – does not need substantial direction, looks for opportunities to go above and beyond
- Empathetic – demonstrates ability to understand, articulate, and adapt to a wide variety of skill sets and perspectives
- Sense of humor, a positive and collaborative attitude, and a team player mentality, willing to take on any task big or small
- Tact, discretion, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Interest in working in or with education, non-profit, government, or other public sector organizations
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- 1-2 years of work experience in management consulting
- Excellent and demonstrable
- Market research skills (e.g., survey development and analysis, market studies, pricing analysis, competitor benchmarking)
- Financial, business, and strategic analysis skills
- Experience with Salesforce, EMSI/Burning Glass, IPEDs, BLS, EAB
- Ability to develop Tableau reports and analysis
- Experience working in or with education, non-profit, government, or other public sector organizations
Tufts University is recognized as a premier university in the United States, with more than 1,300 international students, and 450 international faculty and scholars. As well as possessing a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of students as leaders in a wide range of professions, Tufts is an employer of choice, offering a market-competitive and progressive total rewards program that includes a spectrum of benefits and resources to create a positive work/life experience. For more information about Tufts and its benefits, please visit: http://hr.tufts.edu/benefits/
For additional background about Tufts’ Office of Strategy & Program Development, please visit: https://evp.tufts.edu/about-the-office/strategy-program-development/. Information on Tufts University’s global presence, initiatives, and operations, can be found at: https://www.tufts.edu/strategic-themes. Tufts’ Institutional Research’s Fact Book can be found at: https://provost.tufts.edu/institutionalresearch/fact-book/.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |