TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) serves low-income, first-generation students and/or students with documented disabilities. SSS welcomes applications for the Student Retention Coordinator position. The Student Retention Coordinator is responsible for coordinating supportive services for SSS students with the aim of: increasing academic and non-cognitive skill development; creating student personal and cultural enrichment opportunities; refining academic support services; maintaining/enhancing the SSS services; and to increase the retention and graduation rates of eligible participants (low income or first generation students or students with disabilities who have academic need) or meet SSS grant objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordination and assessment of services and programs
* Partner with program director to design, plan, and execute student events and services that support the academic success; career development; financial literacy; personal growth; academic and cultural enrichment; and graduate/professional school preparation.
* Work collaboratively with the SSS team to coordinate peer coaching and specialized tutoring services.
* Work collaboratively with the SSS team to coordinate academic-skills based coaching services for students with disabilities and students not making satisfactorily academic progress (SAP)/on academic warning or on academic probation.
Record-keeping and reporting
* Maintain the program student roster, including tracking and reporting of the academic progress, persistence, and graduation of students.
* Process student specialized tutoring services requests; assign tutors and ensure that records are kept of all tutoring sessions.
Administration and Supervision
* Assist program director in conducting new student intakes and recruiting widely from eligible in-coming class and continuing students.
* Partner with director to recruit, hire, train, and supervise peer coaches and tutors, and graduate assistants.
* Create flyers for program events and prepare other printed or electronic materials in accordance with program guidelines and in accordance with the guidelines established by the Division of Communications at UB.
* Assist program director with program evaluation and assessment, including reports on the academic progress, persistence, and graduation of students.
* Partner with director to recruit, hire, train and supervise peer coaches and tutors.
Advising and Program Support
* Assist program director and program advisor in providing counseling and academic advising support to SSS students to help them achieve their educational and personal goals.
* Collaborate with SSS team to ensure successful execution of program events that foster student engagement.
* Collaborate with SSS staff to complete year-end reports.
* Maintain professional excellence in SSS through ongoing professional development activities.
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
We invite individuals to apply whose perspectives and experiences will enrich and strengthen our organization. The Student Support Services department serves a diverse constituency of patrons, and our employees, services and policies strive to honor and reflect this diversity. We encourage candidates who thrive in a welcoming multicultural environment to apply.
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally-funded TRIO grant program and is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education. The mission of the SSS Program is to provide comprehensive academic support services that increase the retention and graduation rates of eligible undergraduate participants by fostering academic success in a supportive educational and holistic advising environment at the University at Buffalo. The SSS Program at UB serves a minimum of 275 participants.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit - all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and veteran or disability status.