Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Watch Manager, Facilities Services (0538U) - 27357
University of California, Berkeley
Watch Manager, Facilities Services (0538U) - 27357
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Campus Recycling and Refuse Services, Custodial Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operations, Shops, Quality Assurance & Customer Service, Sustainability and Engineering Services and People's Park.
- Develop and enhance a safety culture and fully support the behavior-based safety program so that each employee understands safe behaviors and at-risk behaviors involved in their job and consciously avoid at-risk behaviors themselves and feel secure in cautioning others in the shop if they see someone performing an at-risk behavior.
- Ensure that all inspections, training, accident investigations, and responses to employee safety concerns fully comply with the FS Injury & Illness Prevention Program, including completion of work orders arising from inspections, investigations or safety concerns.
- Conduct periodic inspections of tools, Facilities Services equipment and Personal Protective Equipment to ensure they are in safe and operable condition
- Conduct periodic vehicle inspections to insure safe operating condition and good housekeeping is maintained, University logos are legible, that vehicles are clean, and body work is not allowed to deteriorate.
MANAGE OF SHOP PRIORITIES:
- Ensure that the all Preventive Maintenance for buildings is completed in accordance with the approved PM program for the fiscal year.
- Ensure that productivity of the shop meets goals established by the Associate Director of the Trade Shops, Facilities Services.
- Manager will collaborate with Regional Manager's & Planner Scheduler to schedule available resources on a daily basis (day ahead firm schedule as a minimum, farther in advance as reporting and scheduling tools allow).
- Collaborate closely with the other Regional Managers and customers to provide excellent service during off hours.
- Schedule PM Program requirements - run reports and manage resources and staffing in alignment with established departmental goals.
- Schedule as much priority and routine work for balance of available resources
- Work priorities outside of (A) emergency work is scheduled for accomplishment in collaboration with customers' input.
- Most work is first-in, first-out basis, though the incumbent should use judgment to make exceptions where a significant improvement in productivity or other significant benefit is realized by executing work out of sequence.
- Ensure long term that response time and work cycle time is equitable for all campus customers
- Ensure that accurate time-to-job information and any changes to user status are input to the computer maintenance management system by noon the next business day, including night or weekend callbacks for emergencies.
- Ensure Craft Lead worker reviews at least one randomly selected job for each craft worker each quarter to assess quality and completeness of the work, appropriateness of materials chosen, and whether the time charged is in line with industry standards and/or the Lead's experience.
- Document which jobs were reviewed and the findings.
- Use findings to provide training by lead or other sources to bring up to expectations.
- Prepare an annual budget in collaboration with incumbent's Manager the department's Accounting representative.
- Exercise financial controls as required to keep shop recharge revenue equal to all expenses - monitor recharge obligations.
- Ensure labor and materials are on work orders.
- Work with the Storehouse to have predefined equipment/supply packets ready at the start of scheduled jobs.
- With the exception of consumable supplies, maintain accountability for all materials held in shop stock, including on shop vehicles or other storage areas until expensed to a specific work order.
- Coordinate with the Storehouse to perform periodic physical inventories to reconcile actual shop stock with shop storehouse records.
- In conjunction with the Craft Lead Workers periodically review items held as insurance items for critical systems to insure that items are available and serviceable, if required.
- Review shop stock levels at least annually to ensure that stock is the minimum required to insure smooth, responsive work flow.
- Maintain accountable records for shop tools and equipment as required by University rules.
MANAGEMENT OF PERSONNEL:
- Maintain open line of communications with all employees and build camaraderie and teamwork.
- The Manager is responsible for hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating performance, commending, and disciplining all the personnel within the shop unit.
- Scheduling of personnel vacation, training, etc.
- Developing emergency response.
- Work on Call schedules.
- Make one or more computer workstations available to employees to access university e-mail accounts, computer maintenance management information, and web access to research material or other job related purposes.
- Work with each employee annually to develop or update their Learning and Development Plan with specific education and training goals for skill enhancement and career development for the short term (one year), mid-term and long term.
- Plan and schedule employees to complete their short term Learning Plan goals
- Report quarterly to the AD, Campus Facilities Services, on the % of that year's learning plan goals which have been achieved
- Perform as a member of the FS Management Team.
- The Manager is on call 24 hours a day to respond to emergency situations after normal working hours and on weekends and holidays.
- The Manager will be assigned periodically to a rotation and be the designated Manager On-Call rotation.
- Responding to campus emergencies in accordance with established plans, and participating in the continued refinement of emergency response plans is required.
- Incumbent must respond physically to major emergency situations, and may be required to carry a pager or cellular phone after normal work hours and on weekends or holidays to expedite emergency response.
- Use Maximo, BearBuy, CALTIME, Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint and other departmental computer systems as needed to perform primary functions.
- Maintain a process to ensure all health, safety, Fire Marshal, or other regulatory Work Orders (including WO resulting from inspection of shops or machinery rooms or resultant from accident investigations or employee safety concerns) are completed prior to any imposed deadlines.
- Attend safety meetings and other general meetings.
- Perform all tasks on a daily basis, while conforming to FS policies and procedures and UC policies and procedures, including Code of Conduct, IIPP (Safety and Health Procedures), Hazardous Materials Communications Program, Health and Safety Manual and other documents authorized by the FS management to have bearing on employee safety
- Perform Purchase Order (PO) creation with related business processes within BearBuy and Maximo.
- Strong knowledge of facilities maintenance and administration.
- Managerial experience
- Multi-craft skill knowledge
- Broad knowledge and understanding of applicable laws, rules, regulations, and internal policies.
- Strong technical skills in the trades.
- Strong management skills to include organization, interpersonal and written and oral communication, long-and short term planning.
- Ability to ensure that quality and customer service standards are communicated, implemented and continually monitored.
- Ability to ensure that subordinate staff provide quick, accurate and appropriate response to both routine maintenance issues as well as emergency response to more urgent situations.
- Ability to promote and maintain a safe working environment through subordinate supervisors/staff.
- Ability to motivate and inspire subordinate staff to provide the highest level of service to campus constituents.
Salary & Benefits
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Certification in a specialty skilled trade required.
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27357&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |