Project Policy Analyst 3 (7398U) , SAIT 5405
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 12, 2020
For full consideration, please submit your application by February 28, 2020. This job will remain posted until filled.
Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT)
SAIT provides technology leadership and support to the Division of Student Affairs; technical support, education, and hands-on learning and leadership opportunities for students; and student advocacy and engagement in campus technology development. Our deep knowledge and understanding of our students' and staff needs, coupled with our technical expertise, makes SAIT a trusted partner, committed to an excellent student experience. Our dedication, responsiveness, and commitment equip us to meet our customers' evolving demands as we work collaboratively to serve students.The SAIT organization consists of 31 full-time career staff and over 80 part-time student staff, distributed across Development & Operations, Strategic Initiatives, Information Security, Technical Project & Portfolio Management, and Student Technologies.
Student Technologies are provided through a unique student leadership model in which technical services are delivered by students, for students, in close collaboration with career staff managers. Our nationally-recognized student IT leadership program allows us to provide many of our services while training student employees and preparing them for professional roles after graduation. Student Technologies provides IT services to students campus-wide. These services include support for students' personally owned devices, assistance locating and navigating computing resources available on campus, residence hall network support, information security awareness and education, management of residence hall computing labs, Student Technology Council advising, and strategic leadership on new campus-wide student initiatives.
Reporting to the Director of Student Technologies, the Project/Policy Analyst 3 conducts analytical studies on a variety of policies, projects, programs and issues in support of the IT student leadership and employment program; assists in policy and program planning, development and administration; interprets, monitors and analyzes information regarding policies and procedures; and provides consultative services regarding student recruitment, selection, hiring, and training to department administrators.
This position is an exciting opportunity to be part of an inclusive workplace environment where staff contribute their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving the mission of the world's best public university. Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
IT Student Leadership and Employment Operations and Consultation:
- Provides consultative services to department administrators of IT units who want to start, expand and/or improve their student internship, employment and professional development programs.
- Researches and summarizes best practices in student engagement strategies, training and supervision approaches; professional development and mentorship activities; and diversity, equity and inclusion practices that support and retain students of all disciplines, identity groups and backgrounds.
- Acts as point of contact for HR and Payroll partners and establishes standards for clear, efficient onboarding and offboarding processes.
- Researches current IT organizational structure to inventory existing opportunities, internships and jobs. Develops student-facing web and social media presence that promotes the full range of IT student internship, employment and professional development opportunities. Acts as point of contact for current students looking to explore any of these opportunities.
- Proposes, leads and/or participates on planning committees and working groups related to IT student internship, employment and professional development programs, e.g. Oakland Tech Internship Coordinating Team, Student IT Supervisors Community of Practice, etc.
- Develops communication tools and strategies for sharing successes and lessons learned across campus and with peer institutions locally and nationally.
- Hires, trains and supervises a student team to perform administrative and clerical functions in support of the student staffing program.
Data Analysis and Policy Development:
- Gathers and analyzes various forms of resource data around UC Berkeley's IT student staff program and tech industry employment pipeline; prepares reports, analyses, briefings, and executive summaries.
- Drafts proposals and recommendations to guide and support specific process improvements and a broader strategic direction for the organization.
- Monitors and analyzes changes in external regulations, legislation, and UC policies for impact on the campus.
- Identifies and selects training opportunities for professional development. Participates in cross-functional group discussions, activities, and other training efforts. Contributes to building and maintaining an inclusive and high-performing workplace culture.
- Adheres to University and departmental policies, procedures, and professional practices as well as city, state, and federal laws. Completes all required University and departmental training requirements including but not limited to FERPA, Information Security, Ethics, and Sexual Harassment/Sexual Violence Prevention.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Broad knowledge of campus Information Technology units and departments or the ability to learn.
- Strong skills in analyzing and synthesizing large amounts of data for preparing sound and relevant proposals to a wide range of student and staff audiences.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with students and all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience/familiarity with developing, coordinating and/or supporting student engagement programs in any industry or setting.
- Experience with and/or commitment to integrating diversity, equity and inclusion practices throughout all facets of programs, projects and/or organizations.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Awareness of student affairs/student development theory and the student academic lifecycle or the ability to learn quickly.
- Experience in human resources policies and procedures related to student appointments, and corresponding attention to detail and nuance in ensuring efficient administrative documentation and processes
Salary & Benefits
The annual salary range of the position is $65,000.00 - $85,000.00, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a two year contract position with possibility for renewal.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5405&PostingSeq=1