Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Community Director is a live-in professional responsible for assisting in the management of the Residential Services program. They assist with the selection and training of the in-residence paraprofessional staff. They are the primary supervisors and evaluators of the in-residence paraprofessional staff. This position coordinates student and staff development and administrative functions in their respective buildings including crisis intervention, judicial matters, and programming. The Community Director also assists with housing operations and other departmental processes.
- Supervise 15-20 Resident Advisors in multiple residence halls for both first year and upper class residents. Serve as the primary resource and support for the students and staff residing in assigned residence halls. Conduct performance evaluations of paraprofessional staff. Conduct weekly staff meetings with Resident Advisors to share information and discuss student and residence hall issues.
- Coordinate duty schedules and break coverage in assigned residence halls.
- Supervise and evaluate the programming efforts of residence hall staff, incorporating all aspects of the programming model to address needs of students and departmental goals..
- Manage residence hall programming budgets for assigned buildings.
- Assist with the implementation of the residential portion of the Insight program for first year and transfer students in assigned buildings. Supervise residence hall staff working with the Insight program to ensure that the goals of community development and personal development are being met.
- Administer the residence hall judicial system in assigned buildings. Meet with students and staff to follow up on disciplinary incidents. Serve as administrative hearing officer for residence hall judicial cases and housing contract violations. Maintain the computerized database for residential judicial caseload and coordinate record keeping with the Dean of Students Office.
- Oversee and advise hall councils, assist councils in programming and community development.
- Advise students in personal, academic, and community related matters and make appropriate referrals as necessary. Mediate roommate disputes and student conflicts as appropriate.
- Assist in housing related operations areas including opening and closing of the halls, occupancy reporting, room changes, and housing selection nights.
- Coordinate quarterly health and safety inspections, end-of-year damage walkthrough, and billing process for assigned buildings.
- Participate in regular building condition assessment walk-throughs.
- Serve as back-up on call response for Administrator On-Call on a rotating basis and coordinate crisis intervention and response in assigned residential areas.
- Serve as a member of the residential services on call group and provide active duty coverage during the on call rotation.
- Assist in the day-to-day management of the Residential Services office.
- Assist with an additional assigned area in Residential Services, including but not limited to; Resident Advisor training, Resident Advisor selection, Residential education (including programming, theme housing and living learning communities).
- Assist and support summer conferences in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Operations during the non-academic year.
- Participate in the Community Director Skill Advancement series focusing on supervision, community development, leadership development, social justice/diversity, student issues/conduct/crisis management, administration/building management, general skills/departmental responsibilities, and professional development.
- Serve as a professional staff member contributing to the overall community through understanding of social justice and diversity concepts. Working to provide an inclusive community for all members of the residential community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Opportunities for Professional Development:
- Local, regional, and national conference attendance upon approval from supervisor and Director of Residential Services.
- University mentor/mentee program.
- Serve as a member and/or chair of departmental and university-wide committees including, but not limited to: Alcohol and Other Drug Committee, Sexual Assault & Violence Education, Campus Programming, etc.
- Practicum opportunity to work and develop skills in a department of interest.
- Master's Degree in college student personnel, higher education administration or related area preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and computer literacy required.
- Minimum of two years residence hall experience preferred.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Community-Director_R0001451-1
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |