Physical Therapist (7938C), University Health Services - 37199
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
As a national collegiate leader, University Health Services (UHS) is a comprehensive campus-based health center providing fully accredited medical and mental health care, education, a major medical insurance plan, and innovative health promotion programs for students, faculty, and staff. UHS is deeply committed to ensuring affordable, well-integrated, multidisciplinary healthcare that effectively supports the university's diverse campus communities, through equitable access and culturally competent, high-quality programs and services.
The Physical Therapy Department at UHS provides physical therapy to Berkeley students and faculty or staff who have work-related injuries. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://uhs.berkeley.edu/physical-therapy&source=gmail&ust=1654730309439000&usg=AOvVaw0Cfna9Jq4wbX1UzypxErs7" href="https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=3200878&targetURL=https://uhs.berkeley.edu/physical-therapy]https://uhs.berkeley.edu/physical-therapy
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 22, 2022.
Physical Therapy Treatments
- Gathers and analyzes relevant patient and clinical information to determine the appropriate need for physical therapy and administers standard diagnostic and prognostic examination of muscle, nerve, joint and functional ability. Plans treatment objectives and programs according to results of evaluation. Provides for the implementation of proper treatment program and periodic reevaluation of program. Communicates treatment plan to patient and appropriate caregivers. Performs a range of physical therapy treatments, from routine to complex. Applies professional physical therapy concepts to direct and aid patients in exercises and functional training using various devices and equipment. Documents assessment, treatment and plan of care in a timely manner. Provides appropriate feedback to the referring clinician concerning assessment, treatment and any potential complications. Delegates to aide with appropriate level of supervision.
- Promotes advancement of departmental and patient care standards by participating in staff meetings, seeking out or providing educational opportunities or collaborating on special projects. Demonstrates professional behavior by maintaining positive relations with co-workers and patients, being flexible in work assignments and schedule changes and acting as a resource to UHS and IA staff.
- Serves as preceptor for student interns. Staff Development - includes work on committees and assignments that enable the staff member to stretch and grow, along with formal and informal coaching and mentoring and regular training, including conference attendance
- Thorough knowledge necessary to perform a wide range of treatments associated with disabilities, injuries, and disease in an outpatient orthopedic setting. Excellent interpersonal communication skills needed to interact effectively with patients, staff members and other members of the community. Advanced manual therapy skills. Ability to perform treatments through soft tissue mobilization, manual techniques, and other forms of various modalities, as appropriate. Ability to work independently and to prioritize assignments. Knowledge of electronic/medical records systems. Must be computer literate. Knowledge of HIPPA Privacy Rules and California state laws regulating privacy and confidentiality of health information.
- Degree in Physical Therapy required. Continuing education in field and/or equivalent training or experience required.
- Must possess a valid license as a registered physical therapist issued by the Board of Medical Examiners, State of California. Medical surveillance required.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a full-time (40 hours/week), career position, eligible for full UC benefits. This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $83,532.51 - $99,813.93 (Step 1.0 - 10.0). For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
- This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Health Care Professionals Unit (HX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/hx/index.html Your employment is dependent on obtaining and maintaining a credentialing clearance (if applicable), background clearance and medical clearance according to University Health Service policies.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=37199&PostingSeq=1