(2 available position to be filled)
About Orange Coast College (OCC)
Orange Coast College's 164-acre campus is located in Costa Mesa just minutes from Southern California's beautiful beaches. Founded in 1947, with classes beginning in 1948, OCC has grown into one of the nation's largest -- and finest -- community colleges, enrolling more than 25,000 students each semester. OCC's has an unwavering commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and rich racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations: 35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 2% are African-American, 23% are Asian, less than 1% Native American, 31% are White, and 6% are multiracial. OCC engages in a variety of professional development opportunities and partnerships so that we can serve disproportionately impacted groups. Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Provides customer service and a clean and welcoming dining environment to students, staff, faculty, and guests.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Dining Assistant is the entry-level position in customer service and dining operations oriented career ladder. The Dining Assistant requires the ability to assist the Café Associate and Café Specialist with entry-level skills in the preparation of food items, organizing a service line, operating a snack bar, the point of sale computer, and performing basic production-oriented record keeping. The Dining Assistant will provide customers with their dining needs and ensures a clean and inviting dining experience. The Café' Associate is the journey level position in this service-oriented career ladder with intermediate skills and an ability to prepare food items, organize a service line, operate a snack bar, operate a point of sale computer, and perform basic production-oriented record keeping. A Café Specialist may serve as an assistant team leader or demonstrate a higher level of specialization such as with special events, restaurant-style menus, supporting a standalone site, and production record keeping. Advancement potential exists to events coordination and leadership in culinary lab settings and is based on need and the ability to coordinate meal production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Assist with the preparation of food lines and food stations.
* Acts as a public relations liaison with customers.
* Provides cleaning and sanitation of the dining area. Removes dirty dishes from the dining room into the kitchen or assigned area, wipes table tops and chairs according to sanitation standards.
* Stocks, replaces and restocks, food and beverage centers, table and glassware.
* Replenishes supply of dishes in the kitchen for culinary staff.
* Sweeps, mops and/or vacuums flooring as needed; clean up spills.
* Assists with the delivery of food items to remote campus locations or to patrons eating in the dining area.
* Assists with the setup and cleanup of catered events on campus.
* Receives and put away fulfilled orders of supplies and/or food items in kitchen or pantry areas.
* Works in all areas of the dining center.
* Maintains a clean and sanitary work area.
* May act as a messenger from the dining room to kitchen staff, as needed.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.