Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts' mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts' campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
What You'll Do
The AV Installation and Support Specialist is primarily responsible for performing installations of AV systems that are being done internally at Tufts University as well as providing effective Tier 3 support, preventative maintenance, and consultation for the following service areas: classroom and lab technology digital and analog audiovisual/multimedia systems event and meeting space technology conferencing and collaboration services (e.g. video, web, and teleconferencing) and lecture and content capture services. In addition to supporting this suite of services, the position will also provide Tier 1 and Tier 2 services for academic spaces, meetings and events as a backup to regular AV staff. As desktop and audiovisual/multimedia solutions continue to converge, the role is also expected to provide Tier 2 frontline support for end user desktop (Windows and Mac), software, and other technology services. The position will regularly create and update both end-user facing and internal technical documentation.
This position has a work designation of onsite and is not eligible for remote work. While the position will primarily be supporting one of the campuses as defined in the hiring documentation, routine travel between the 4 campus areas and occasional travel to affiliated sites (e.g. Walpole Vets, Tufts Veterinary Field Service) will be required. As a customer-facing organization, we expect all technology support team members to represent TTS to our client population in a professional manner. As such, the expectations of TTS is that you will wear business appropriate, professional attire that is clean, neat, and work appropriate.
What We're Looking For
- The knowledge and skills that are typically acquired through a High School diploma and 5 years of experience in the installation and maintenance of audiovisual/multimedia systems.
- Direct experience with installation and maintenance of 4 or more of the following technologies:
- Hardware-based videoconferencing systems.
- Video camera systems, including SDI and RTSP. Experience with NDI is a plus.
- Wall-mounted video monitors.
- Video projection systems.
- Distributed audio systems.
- Beamforming microphones.
- HDBaseT and USB over CAT extension.
- Extron DSP configuration.
- Wireless microphone coordination in a large-scale (16+ microphones) environment.
- Two or more of the following certifications:
- AVIXA-Recognized AV Technologist
- Dante Certification Level 2
- Extron Control Specialist
- Biamp TesiraForte
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP networking, including networking protocols and standards.
- Ability to solder, terminate UTP/STP cables, and crimp BNC connections.
- Strong technical troubleshooting and resolution skills with demonstrated ability to learn new skills quickly. Strong research and analytical skills for more complex issues/problems.
- Strong communication, collaboration, organizational and time management skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and independently manage a changing workload and schedule in a wide variety of settings and situations.
- Proven ability to perform well under stress when confronted with emergency, critical or unusual customer situations. Ability to maintain a strong sense of urgency. Appropriate use of judgment as to when to escalate difficult situations or seek guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver professional customer service, end user training and consultation, effective team and project work.
- CTS certification, CTS-I certification is a plus.
- Experience using Extron's Global Viewer Enterprise AV resource management system.
- Experience with Crestron programming.
- Extron Control Professional Certification.
- Experience with video/audio recording, capture and editing, web streaming and video recording technologies and support.
- Experience with lighting control systems
- Experience performing minor bench repairs on media presentation and production equipment.
- Familiarity with ITIL v3 Foundations.
- Experience delivering tier 1-2 desktop support to end users in a mixed Windows and Mac environment
- Desktop support related certifications such as: MSCE, A+, Network +, CCNA, ACMT.
- Experience using endpoint management systems such as LANDesk Management Suite and Avante.
- Experience with LDAP, DHCP, DNS and TCP/IP configuration.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
This position requires the ability to travel between Tufts four campuses. May be required to work weekends or non-uniform hours when dealing with installations or unusual situations that require additional time to troubleshoot and resolve. The ability to share in a 24x7x365 on-call rotation and to provide support outside of normal business hours as needed while on-call and for occasional planned maintenance events. This position works 40 hours per week. There is occasional event support work evenings and weekends but the position is overtime eligible.
The work designation for this position is onsite. This position is not eligible for remote work.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.