Lead Stand Supervisor (6291U) 26802 - 1477
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 16, 2019
Year-round, Events & Conferences is responsible for selling various catering and event coordination services to the campus and external clients. This department is also responsible for selling venue spaces at Clark Kerr Conference Center, California Memorial Stadium, as well as coordinating event logistics such as audio-visual, parking, rentals, etc.
- Under supervision of Concession Managers, assists as assigned in oversight, leading, directing, training, and counseling of Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs) and hourly staff working in multiple concession stands. Ensures correct setup of concession stands by NPOs and hourly staff, proper inventory management, quality control, and supervision of food/beverage production.
- Additionally, will assist with cash handling procedures involving group leads for each stand; though this person will not handle any cash. Ensures all cash handling procedures and documented and enforced.
- Understands menu offerings, presentation, and pricing. Ensures products are displayed and merchandised appropriately and assists with maintaining service areas. Ensures proper product control, handling of inventory and equipment, and follows food safety/sanitation guidelines. Ensures that the highest levels of cleanliness and sanitation are maintained. Keeps a quality appearance of concessions locations at all times. Responsible for ensuring that alcohol is being served responsibly throughout assigned locations.
- Responsible for pregame setup and stocking of concession stands and portable locations, in coordination with assignments from Concessions Managers. Takes accurate opening and closing inventory, product transfers, spoilage, etc. in multiple concession stands. Maintains and controls high volume food and beverage inventory. Conducts physical audit of inventory and product. Researches and performs reconciliations. Works in conjunction with Concessions Storekeeper and other staff.
- Plans and prepares in advance of games or events. Provides hands on supervisor during events, and organizes post-event closing and clean up. Participates in stand closing procedures, works with other stand personnel to properly clean equipment and organize stock for next event.
- Assists Concessions Managers with recruitment, hiring, and training of NPO's and hourly staff to ensure consistent policies, regulations and procedures are executed amongst the various staff.
- Establishes and maintains positive relations with customers. Listens, and if possible, resolves customers' needs and reports them to managers. Interacts enthusiastically and
- pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction. Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- Interprets and implements University policy for clients using campus facilities and services.
- Articulates department's objectives to the University and community. Represents the department as necessary at University and community functions.
- Assists internal partners as needed. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Demonstrates strong ability to lead and effectively manage large groups of people.
- Knowledge of concepts and principles regarding food-handling and preparation
- Ability to work in fast-pace environment. Must be able to communicate effectively with management and staff to request inventory orders, customer service issues and maintenance needs.
- Basic knowledge of Events & Conferences - Concessions, its mission, vision, goals, objectives, achievements and infrastructure- or ability to learn.
- Interpersonal communications skills, including tact and political acumen, and skill in effectively representing Events & Conferences to all staff members and patrons.
- Ability to complete all necessary event paperwork involving Concession Stand Inventory, Spoilage, NPO information, as well as event feedback form
- Basic math skills and ability to verify and recount inventory when needed, without the use of a calculator
- Ability to lift over 50 pounds
- Previous management experience preferred
- ServSafe or Food handler's certification preferred.
- High School Graduate, some college preferred and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1477&PostingSeq=1