Operations Coordinator, Golden Bear Recreation Center (GBRC) & Strawberry Canyon Rec Area (SCRA) (4134U) 2366 - 2366
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 6, 2019
Cal Recreational Sports is dedicated to enhancing the knowledge, wellness, fitness, personal skills and quality of life for students, faculty, staff, and the community. By providing facilities, programs, activities and the opportunity for cooperative and competitive play, Recreational Sports teaches life-long fitness skills, leadership, management, interpersonal skills, and helps to balance the stress of studying and working in a rigorous academic environment.
- Coordinate special program events including securing facility, equipment, and staffing for the event.
- Coordinate program requirements for year around activities such as gymnastics program. Propose annual assessment fees. Monitor mandatory engagement hours, contributions, and activity. Maintain updated records and provide status reports as requested by legal guardians and supervisor.
- Stay current with area youth programs to ensure that program offerings and pricing are optimal.
- Coordinate on-site and online sales including programs and activities, retail merchandise and sales inventory, and aquatic swim passes. Provide sales and inventory reports to supervisor as requested.
- Responsible for all program registration and billing operations including establishing participant accounts and activating recurring payment program. Provide enrollment and revenue reports to supervisor as requested.
- Enforce program policies and procedures.
- Respond to requests for information on GBRC SCRA programs and activities.
- Employ customer service skills to resolve program issues (e.g. participant engagement, billing and registration issues).
- Monitor registrations to identify opportunities for program growth and development.
- Coordinate cashier staff and ensure that cash handling procedures are in compliance with University policy.
- Reports safety issues to appropriate personnel and recommends improvements.
- Maintains files, records and prepares reports as necessary.
- Designs, plans, organizes and conducts complex recreational activity classes and/or workshops programs for program participants, individually or in groups.
- Keeps current on methods of instruction, techniques and skills through continuing education.
- Participates in required professional development activities
- Utilizes and may provide guidance and instruction to other program instructors on best practices, procedures, methods and techniques on program activities.
- Leads groups of participants in a variety of recreational and physical activities that are offered on a short-term or intermittent basis.
- Maintains a supportive environment for program participants and facilitates involvement. Interacts with program participants in a positive manner.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Must have highly effective verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- Thorough knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work in youth camps, fitness and outdoor programs.
- Has thorough knowledge of program activity and industry best practices.
- Position requires strong leadership and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively across the organization.
- Strong service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Must be proficient with Innosoft Fusion recreation management software.
- Must be proficient with CyberSource credit card processing service.
- Must be proficient in When2Work staff scheduling software.
- Must be knowledgeable in EMS Facility Scheduling software.
- Must be proficient with Google share drive tools (ie. spreadsheets, documents, forms, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Red Cross CPR. Standard First Aid Training Certification.
- Previous experience working with age level specific to an activity.
Salary & Benefits
The annual salary range of the position is $48,000 - $57,000.00, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2366&PostingSeq=1