Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Director - First Year Center
Utah Valley University
Director - First Year Center
: Staff - Full-Time
The Director of the First Year Center has oversight responsibility for campus-wide first-year academic counseling; ensures an innovative and high quality advising program that supports all undergraduate students at Utah Valley University and offers a particular emphasis on academic planning based on a comprehensive knowledge of the university's academic programs; facilitates individual counseling in formulating student academic plans; provides meaningful experiences aligned with each student's interests and career goals; provides support services, functions and activities to help students achieve their fullest potential; collaborates with key stakeholders to promote first year student success including the delivery of student support services, data-driven intervention, and the seamless transition to school/college advisors. This position reports directly to the Associate Vice President of Academic Programs with a dual report to the Associate Vice President of Student Success and Retention.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a masters degree in a directly related field, plus four years of progressively responsible professional experience in a student success related area in a higher education environment;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of career and academic counseling practices, services, activities, and operations.
- Working knowledge of student development theory and effective student success and retention strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of career assessment, counseling, and other related technology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of predictive analytics and the factors impacting student retention, success, satisfaction and graduation rates.
- Knowledge of financial and business analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques of effective organizational staffing, supervision, and personnel practices, including staff development and training.
- Knowledge of and commitment to UVUs mission and strategic directions.
- Skill and experience in developing and implementing retention and graduation rate improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrated skill and experience utilizing data analytics to formulate and implement initiatives aligned with strategic retention planning and student success.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences including students, their families, advisors, counselors, faculty, staff and administrators with the highest degree of professionalism and courtesy.
- Demonstrated skill in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Demonstrated skill in diplomacy, professionalism and engaged collaboration across university divisions, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated skill in program planning, development, implementation, assessment, and leadership.
- Demonstrated skill in employee development and performance management.
- Demonstrated skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Ability to use predictive analytics to recommend, create and implement practical interventions and process improvements essential to success in this role.
- Ability to effectively manage people of various backgrounds and skill sets.
- Relationship care-taking and group facilitation techniques to ensure continued engagement by stakeholders.
- Ability to provide for an environment supportive of affirmative action and the achievement of the universitys affirmative action goals and policies.
- Ability to foster a cooperative, collaborative and engaged workplace environment with an approach that is positive and optimistic that leads to quality practices and services.
Masters degree and experience directing academic counseling or student retention initiatives is preferred.
General office environment. Consistent use of fine-hand manipulation associated with the use of a computer. Ability to sit for long periods of time. May occasionally need to lift 10-25 pounds. Some standing and walking is required.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
$58,043 - $77,390
STA144818 Academic Programs Staff
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Please list a minimum of three business references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/11455
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |