The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 16, 2019
Cal Recreational Sports is dedicated to enhancing the knowledge, wellness, fitness, personal skills and quality of life for students, faculty, staff, and the community. By providing facilities, programs, activities and the opportunity for cooperative and competitive play, Recreational Sports teaches life-long fitness skills, leadership, management, interpersonal skills, and helps to balance the stress of studying and working in a rigorous academic environment. Visit us at https://recsports.berkeley.edu/
- Plans, organizes and implements recreational programs and associated facilities.
- Collaborates with Rec Sports leadership to establish the overall direction and goals of programs and facility use.
- Investigates and recommends new program areas and plans for growth.
- Analyzes program data to determine necessary programming and budgetary adjustments.
- Selects, trains and supervises staff. Reviews and approves all hiring recommendations from program staff. Oversees and/or directs the supervision of program staff training and development.
- Supervises employee performance, career development and adherence to job standards.
- Develops annual staff evaluations and takes disciplinary actions as needed.
- Ensures that all job descriptions are current and accurately represent the job duties and responsibilities of each staff member.
- Schedules use of recreational facilities, and advises and assists individuals and groups with problems related to scheduled recreational activities.
- Monitors the usage and scheduling of the facilities by other user groups (ie. Athletic teams, sport club representatives, conference services) with aim to assign facility usage within established agreements. Provides regular updates to supervisor and recommendations for improvements.
- Maintains files, records and prepares reports as necessary.
- Supervises inventory, storage, budget and maintenance of sports and recreational spaces and equipment. Ensures facilities are well maintained and repairs are efficiently reported and completed.
- Seeks approval from Rec Sports leadership for larger scale projects. Coordinates with the Rec Sports Facilities Department for project implementation.
- Ensures compliance with assigned budget and makes budget recommendations to manager for activities/programs/projects.
- Assists with the development and management of the annual budget.
- Projects and analyzes program revenue and expenses with guidance from supervisor and Student Affairs finance unit.
- Reviews all purchasing and travel requests and approves as warranted. Reviews all payroll reports for accuracy.
- Develops strategies to increase revenue via participation fees, donations, grants and other developmental tools to meet program goal.
- Works with programs to determine supply and equipment needs.
Policy and Compliance:
- Implements program policies and procedures. Ensures staff is in compliance with required University, program sanctioned governing bodies (ie USGA trainings and certifications), and industry standards/best practices. Ensure ADA compliance.
- Assists with appropriate public relations and promotional programs.
- Collaborates with Student Affairs Marketing and Communication partners to promote programs and facilities through direct interaction with patrons and specific user groups, web and social media, and various print advertising and collateral.
- Provides risk management oversight for recreational operations and creates/implements procedures to ensure the safety of participants and employees.
- Ensures safety guidelines are adhered to and reports safety issues to appropriate personnel and recommends improvements.
- Has knowledge of program activity and industry best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and inter-personal skills and the ability to work effectively across the organization, internally and externally.
- Strong service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Must be able to work effectively, across all organization levels, internally and externally.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Must have demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Supervisory experience including hiring, terminations, and other related staffing issues.
- Must have demonstrated fiscal management abilities.
- Previous job experience in a customer service industry/position.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- Knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training. Red Cross CPR required. Standard First Aid Training Certification.
- Prior experience supervising and personnel management; preferably three or more years supervising full time and contract staff.
Licenses or certifications, if any:
- Maintains current CPR/First Aid certification and TB clearance.
- Must complete blood borne pathogen training annually,
- Standard First Aid Training Certification.
- CANRA mandated reporter online training.
- Lifeguard Training certification.
Salary & Benefits
The annual salary range of the position is $45,300 – $60,000, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.