Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Senior Network Systems Programmer Analyst
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
The University at Buffalo seeks a forward thinking technical leader for the position of Network Engineer. The Network Engineer provides technical knowledge and advice to solve problems, including installation, testing, and evaluation of new hardware, software, monitoring, and support of systems in support of the University’s local, wide area, and wireless networks. Candidates should possess an expert current knowledge of data networking concepts and have a history of developing new and practical solutions to meet customer requirements.
- Ensures the system security and reliability for the campus enterprise network infrastructure
- Responsible for supporting and maintaining university wide information technology services, including, but not limited to routers, switches, firewalls, VPN’s, wireless infrastructure, cable/fiber optic plant, maintaining an accurate inventory of hardware and software, installing and documenting new communication facilities to meet the University’s needs as determined by discussions with faculty, staff and facilities
- Prioritize and schedule work on multiple simultaneous projects, tasks, service requests, and service problems. The incumbent must have the ability to function effectively under pressure, and to be proactive and optimistic in difficult situations, combined with learning technologies quickly and effectively
- Manage projects as assigned and needed, lead team efforts to evaluate, recommend, implement, develop and document new technologies
- Provide project management expertise combined with expert technical knowledge and advice for special technical problems
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging technologies, lead the planning and organizing of activities to support the University’s IT infrastructure
- Maintain current information regarding software and hardware for relevant computing platforms, network infrastructure, applications, languages, procedures, and techniques. Manages and performs network systems upgrades, installations and re-configurations in support of development and production services
- Participates in 24×7 and escalation rotation for NCS services. Provides consulting on network application techniques, configurations, hardware and software solutions, VLANs, firewalls, routers, switches, wireless systems, network authentication and authorization, routing protocols and security implementations
- Provides training, knowledge transfer and consulting to faculty, staff, and students on a broad range of computer system techniques, applications, programming languages, and network services
- Responsible for supervision of student assistants which includes hiring, firing, technical and administrative training, assigning tasks, managing workload, setting priorities, and being the liaison between NCS staff, student assistants, management and UB community concerning status of projects and assignments
All duties and listed above occur in a 24×7 environment, therefore, as part of your professional obligation, working extended hours, holidays, and varied hours may be required.
The mission of UB Information Technology’s is "to advance UB’s mission of excellence in research, teaching, and service through the innovative and effective use of Information Technology." UBIT includes nearly 400 talented and collaborative professionals. UBIT supports the university’s goals for impactful research, educational experiences, engagement and economic development, and a 21st-century campus environment. To that end, UBIT partners with the campus community and leads the evaluation, implementation, and operation of all IT services.
It is a great time to join UBIT. Over the last four years, VPCIO and UBIT have focused on modernizing the core IT infrastructure. These strategic enhancements have resulted in a world-class technology environment. UBIT staff are highly skilled and motivated to succeed and have cutting-edge training and technical resources at their disposal. In addition to professional growth opportunities, UBIT staff have access to a comprehensive list of benefits and services designed to help them meet their personal and family needs including health care, paid time off, and on premise childcare.
Recognizing that a diverse, equitable and inclusive community is an essential foundation for achieving excellence and success, UBIT is committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and respect. University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
The Buffalo Niagara region is a major metropolitan area with a vibrant, diverse blend of cultures and communities. Buffalo’s strong sense of community, easy lifestyle, and affordability, are just a few of the attributes that make our city a great place to work and live. Apply now to join the UBIT team!
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three (3) or more years of experience directly related to the duties found in this position. This experience should encompass many technical aspects of computing and networking on complex networks. This is a technical position requiring advanced experience with the design, installation, maintenance of data communications and networking equipment, networking and analytical techniques, and expertise in selected areas of computer applications and networks
- High degree of professionalism, excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Project management experience
- Individual knowledge of, and direct experience with, Microsoft Office productivity tools (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, Visio)
- This position requires travel. Appointees will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field
- Experience in network operating system installation and support procedures
- In-depth knowledge of network operating systems (Cisco IOS and NX-OS, Juniper JUNOS, HP/Aruba OS, FortiOS), Domain Name Service (DNS, DHCP, InfoBlox appliance experience preferred), Internet Protocols (IPv4 and IPv6), NAT technologies (A10 NAT Appliance experience preferred), Quality of Service (QoS), Software Defined Networks, and network routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, EVPN, VXLAN)
- Experience with hardware/software firewalls (Cisco ASA, Juniper SRX, Fortinet) and their management platforms (Juniper Space and FortiManager)
- Extensive wireless experience including designing, managing, upgrading, and troubleshooting, wireless networks along with troubleshooting a wide variety of wireless clients
- Experience with HP/Aruba ClearPass, HP/Aruba Airwave, network registration, 802.1x authentication, RADIUS, monitoring applications, configuration management and backup, and network security practices and methodologies
- Knowledge of RF design, propagation, and site survey experience
- Experience working with fiber optic and copper cable plant topologies, transmission capabilities as well as electronic, optical and radio frequency propagation
- Knowledge of Internet Service Providers, exchange points, addressing, prioritization, Internet topologies and capabilities
- Knowledge of Voice over IP technologies (VoIP) with a concentration on Cisco’s offering and their unified communications platform
- Experience and comprehension of network analysis, development, programming (WireShark, Python, Perl, Bash, etc), automation or orchestration and project and risk management methods and techniques
- Understanding of directory services, LDAP, Linux, Microsoft Operating Systems and encryption methods
- Experience working with Data Center networking is desired including SAN, VLAN concepts for cluster private interconnect technology and load balancing (F5) technology devices
- Certifications desired: CCNA, CCNP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT, Fortinet NSE5 or higher
- Experience in University environment
Contact’s Name Ron Ternowski
Contact’s Title Chair
Contact’s Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact’s Phone 716-645-4742
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |