Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Center Assistant - Berkeley Extension (4724C) -
University of California, Berkeley
Center Assistant - Berkeley Extension (4724C) -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Established in 1891, UC Berkeley Extension is the self-supporting continuing education department of the University of California, Berkeley, supporting 30,000 enrollments in over 1,500 courses for college and professional credit, certificate programs in a variety of fields, and non-credit seminars and programs of professional and general interest. The department is comprised of 167 full-time equivalent (FTE) career staff and 900 part-time instructional staff. University Extension offers courses at 5 facilities throughout the Bay Area---including Berkeley, San Francisco, and Belmont---in addition to the Berkeley campus and Online.
Classroom Support and Coordination:
- Ensure that classrooms are prepared in advance of instruction, coordinating logistical details in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Inspect classrooms for cleanliness and good condition of furniture and basic equipment, e.g., classroom tables and chairs, easels, drafting tables, whiteboards /chalkboards, clocks, waste baskets, etc.
- Stock classroom supply inventory, including markers, chalk, erasers, flip charts, etc.
- Using designated cleaning supplies and materials, thoroughly wipe down classroom tables, chairs, and whiteboards after use; remove used flip chart pages, as needed.
- Respond to and document requests for room set-ups, following up with department staff, as needed.
- Complete room set-ups following established protocols, adhering to safety, ADA, and occupancy guidelines.
- Prepare and deliver classroom packets and daily classroom signage, ensuring the currency and accuracy of information.
- Secure classrooms per established guidelines, providing access, as appropriate.
- Use department vehicle to deliver classroom materials to Berkeley Campus, as appropriate.
- Respond to and provide immediate on-site support to instructors and students, e.g., answering students' questions about enrollment status; assisting instructors with class rosters; maintaining appropriate access to classrooms; and handling late requests for room set-ups, break-out rooms, etc.
- Following established guidelines and protocols, resolve routine issues that arise so as to ensure and uphold the quality of the instructional experience.
- In the absence of the Classroom Technology Services staff, assist with routine requests for AV support.
- Troubleshoot equipment problems and notify Classroom Technology Services of classroom technology issues.
- Serve as point person to receive information from instructors with same-day emergencies.
- Follow established protocol for situations in which scheduled instructor is absent or no-show.
- Notify students in classroom, collect attendance roster, and forward information to programming department staff.
- Respond to telephone and walk-in inquiries from current and prospective students, staff, instructors and the general public regarding UC Berkeley Extension classes, programs, and facilities.
- Encourage enrollment by promoting available and upcoming classes or recommending alternatives to filled or cancelled classes.
- Ask for assistance, when needed, and re-direct inquiries to other departments, as appropriate.
- Ensure appropriate catalogs, brochures, and flyers are available for students and visitors, removing expired catalogs, re-stocking items, as needed.
- Greet and check-in students at building security check point, as needed, running reports and working in cooperation with on-site security guards to ensure student, instructor, and guest access to facility.
- Assist with supporting the safe, clean, and professional maintenance of Extension's facilities, including classrooms, public areas, and restrooms.
- Give highest priority to safety-related issues or items that impact the quality of the instructional environment.
- Respond to classroom-related service requests, handling routine requests personally and immediately, e.g., classroom temperature adjustments.
- Using building ticket tracking system or established protocols, submit work orders for special service requests , such as restroom cleaning/re-stocking, light bulb replacement, etc.
- Follow up to ensure that work is satisfactorily completed.
- Apprise Facilities Manager (or department management) of more complex issues or matters requiring additional attention.
- Actively notice and address general facility conditions, handling routine matters personally, e.g., replacing batteries in classroom clocks.
- In the absence of the Center Lead, may function as on-site center liaison to property management, security and custodial vendors, and other service vendors.
- Provide assistance at other facilities, as needed, e.g., during staff absences, peak periods, staff vacations, or extended staff leaves.
- Provide on-site assistance to classroom rental clients, as needed.
- Assist with copier issues, e.g., re-stocking paper, troubleshooting jams, meter readings, or code entry issues.
- In the absence of the Center Lead, responsible for checking and responding to email@example.com, addressing routine facilities questions pertaining to represented Center, and forwarding other requests to Facilities Manager (or department management).
Classroom Scheduling and Revisions:
- Using existing system (Destiny Solutions) in conjunction with business process guidelines and planning tools, actively monitor sections with low enrollments or potential scheduling conflicts, following up with programming department and scheduling staff regarding section cancellations.
- Handle last-minute requests for schedule changes, processing changes in Destiny and communicating information to impacted staff.
- Update classroom schedules, signage, and course support materials accordingly.
- May schedule and proctor final exams for Extension and non-Extension students in ground-based and online courses.
- Assist with late requests for scheduling non-instructional events.
- Maintain familiarity with building emergency procedures.
- In the absence of the Center Lead, serve as resource and lead in the event of an emergency, ensuring clear and consistent dissemination of appropriate safety and security protocols.
- Work cooperatively with emergency responders.
- Use discretion and training to identify, report, and act appropriately in emergency situations
- Other Duties, As Assigned
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in customer service. Record of reliable attendance and punctuality.
- Good interpersonal skills; able to interact with diverse groups in a professional and effective manner.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Word and Excel. Comfortable using Google mail, calendar, and document sharing. Able to learn new software quickly.
- Good organizational ability, with keen attention to detail. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Able to multi-task and prioritize tasks under conditions of frequent interruptions and time constraint.
- Strong time management and organizational skills. Able to work independently with limited supervision.
- Able to lift 50 lbs. with or without reasonable accommodation
- Able to move classroom furniture or adjust classroom partitions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Able to safely operate department vehicles, including van and pick-up truck. Knowledge of California driving regulations.
- Self-motivated; willing to learn and take initiative to improve quality of service
Salary & Benefits
- Knowledge of student registration policies in a continuing education environment; clear understanding of FERPA regulations
- Experience with building safety/emergency procedures sufficient to assist in the event of an emergency
- Knowledge of Extension's student information system, Destiny Solutions
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is a 50%-100% variable (hours vary) position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27160&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |