The Administrative Secretary perform specialized administrative support duties for a business or educational administrator such as a department head or senior professional in a single function organizational unit with substantial support needs. Provides support to administrative projects, workflow, and support activities for the office and related functions.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Administrative Secretary is part of a multi-level career path for administrative support.. The Administrative Secretary typically report to a department head, senior professional, or designee, and require the ability to provide administrative support, requiring competencies such as and not limited to, the ability to carry out projects that involve data from other departments and sites, and research and gather for reports and special studies. The Administrative Secretary classification also requires the ability to research and review records for compliance, due process, reimbursements, and external reporting. Advancement to Administrative Assistant I is based on need, requires compliance with the job qualifications and the ability to provide support to administrative committees, official proceedings, and processes requiring a higher level of specialization and reporting relationship and provide varied and difficult support to business and academic processes, usually reporting to an executive and coordinating work flow among other support staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all the following kinds of duties:
* Performs administrative support involving administrative, technical, and logistics services. Applies working knowledge of the functions, policies, and procedures of the division/department, as well as those having implications to other functions.
* Interprets and conveys policies and procedures, referring difficult or sensitive matters to an administrator. Responds to inquiries and conveys information about programs and services provided by the organizational unit.
* Assists in the establishment and maintenance of calendars and establishment of deadlines and/or timelines for projects, activities, and required submissions.
* Provides support to, and may coordinate departmental meetings, projects and events, integrating them with ongoing work routines. Makes facility preparations, orders and sets up food/refreshments, and assists with readiness and use of multi media equipment.
* Collects, updates and maintains data and files, and other processes where there may be information privacy considerations. Reviews and enters data using established data entry screens and formats.
* Provides administrative support to special processes including, but not limited to, committees and special subject group meetings. Prepares forms, revisions, and final documents to support proceedings. Makes facility preparations, orders and sets up food and/or refreshments, and coordinates multi media presentations.
* Takes notes and prepares meeting recollections. Prepares from rough drafts or instructions a variety of materials such as meeting agendas, resolutions, letters, memoranda, reports and statistical data. Composes original correspondence and forms on routine department matters.
* Researches and may prepare requisitions and claims for reimbursable services. Initiates communications to resolve, invoice, purchase order, and contractual matters with vendors and other service providers.
* Assists an administrator or designee with personnel-related transactions such as those for tracking leaves, time and attendance, and employing part time and temporary staff or student workers. May assist or coordinate on-boarding of new hire employees.
* Schedules appointments and arranges meetings. Prepares schedules and informs participants, confirming dates and times. Makes travel reservations.
* Prepares documents on behalf of the administrator such as but not limited to, agreements and contracts for services, and reports used by and/or provided by the division. Processes documents for approval on behalf of administrator, including district-wide conference/travel authorizations.
* Assists one or more administrators with developing organization unit budget proposals, maintaining communications with work sections on status and information needs. Researches and identifies reimbursable services.
* Assists with maintenance of Maintains approved budgets, transaction records, and audit trails, including those for projects and grant-funded activities.
* Researches and may reconcile expenditures and initiates budget allocation changes and reassignments of funds to and from various accounts, working with accounting staff to assure compliance with business practices and regulations.
* May update content to division's web pages as approved by the supervisor.
* Performs other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.