Provides clinical and outreach services within the scope of Counseling & Consultation Services. This position includes the option to serve as the Practicum Coordinator for 3-5 psychology graduate students each year as part of the CCS training program.
This full-time 12-month position reports to the Director and is responsible for providing generalist mental health services, including:
- Initial client appointments, individual and group therapy, crisis intervention, outreach programming for the NIU community, and consultation to faculty/staff, students, family members, and others. Additional responsibilities include providing supervision and training for doctoral interns, practicum students, and graduate assistants.
Candidates who are interested in serving as Practicum Coordinator as part of the Staff Psychologist position would have designated administrative responsibilities and allotted time to manage these tasks, including:
- Working with the Assistant Director/Training Director to develop and implement program requirements (e.g., practicum student schedules, supervision, and evaluation), coordinating the annual practicum student recruitment and selection process, serving as liaison to ACEPT (Association of Chicagoland Externship and Practicum Training) as well as practicum student graduate programs, and providing weekly group supervision for practicum trainees.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
a) Provides direct client care including assessment, individual and group counseling services, referral services, and crisis intervention during office hours
b) Provides outreach programming to the university community focused on topics related to mental health and self-care
c) Provides consultation services regarding mental health issues and students of concern to faculty/staff, students, and family/friends
d) Provides supervision and training for doctoral interns, practicum student trainees, and graduate assistants
e) Maintains accurate records in a timely and ethical manner
f) Other duties as assigned
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Doctorate in Counseling or Clinical Psychology
2. Licensure in professional discipline in the State of Illinois within 18 months of hire. For Practicum Coordinator position, must be licensed in Illinois within three months of hire.
3. Considerable clinical experience providing individual and group therapy
4. Experience providing supervision to graduate level trainees in psychology or related field
5. Previous experience providing outreach and psychoeducational programming on mental health topics
6. Demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working with diverse clients
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills