Business Systems Analyst (7584U) - 4868
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 31, 2020
Central Human Resources is valued as UC Berkeley's proactive people partner while utilizing the following HR Strategies:
- Bring clarity and efficiency to HR processes and structures through cross-team collaboration and transparent communication.
- Use development opportunities beyond training to create deeper engagement, higher trust and better performance.
- Apply Berkeley brand to developing a shared enterprise contributor mindset among all employees.
Here at Central Human Resources, we are reimagining the way we deliver HR services to campus. We are actively repositioning the department as the campus' proactive people partner. This position mobilizes efforts to that end at the intersection of people, process and technology. Day-to-day that involves analyzing large-scale business processes and problems; developing solutions involving the use of computer systems, information flow and architecture; creating specifications for systems to meet requirements; validating requirements against needs; designing details of automated systems; developing user interface design; planning and executing unit integration and acceptance testing. Simply put, this position solves the problems impeding the department's ability to provide great service to campus. This position will lead cross-functional teams to solve these complex business or systems issues.
- Applies technical expertise and business analysis concepts to identify, evaluate and define complex systems scope and objectives through research and fact-finding combined with an understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements.
- Provides technical expertise in identifying, evaluating and developing complex systems and procedures.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary.
- Creates complex specifications for systems to meet user requirements.
- Validates requirements against needs.
- Participates in, and sometimes project manages, cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
- Such teams may include, but are not limited to, the HR Dashboard, Performance Management, and the Compliance Training team.
- Guides and advises less-experienced analysts most especially as it relates to the Learning Management System (LMS)
- Provides user support and training on new applications and application updates such as LMS and the online performance management tool.
- Ongoing professional development to include training regarding project management and new technology and communications tools.
- Requires thorough knowledge of business analysis function.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, common campus-specific and other computer application programs such as SumTotal, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Google Apps (Docs, Sheets. Forms, Slides) etc.
- Advanced experience in Excel
- Strong analytical/problem-solving skills.
- Project management expertise
- Knowledge of department processes and procedures, or ability to learn.
- Requires skills associated with analysis of processes and problems, information flow and architecture.
- Requires strong interpersonal and communications skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=4868&PostingSeq=1