Auburn University Athletics is seeking candidates for Academic Counselor. Working with the Senior Associate Athletics Director, Student-Athlete Support Services, this position will provide academic advising/counseling and support to student-athletes.
The successful candidate will serve as part of a comprehensive team in Student-Athlete Support Services (SASS). SASS promotes, assists, and provides counsel to Auburn University student-athletes in the areas of academics and eligibility.
1. Provides advisement/counseling for students in matters related to goals, choice of curriculum, course load, study habits, and course scheduling/selecting.
2. Evaluates/analyzes student athlete records to ensure eligibility for participation in sport and advises students at risk of losing eligibility due to grades or course scheduling.
3. Coordinates and monitors development programs for student athletes to include identifying at-risk students, referring students to clinical psychologists or other appropriate professionals when
needed, planning tutoring programs, and scheduling class-study times.
4. Instructs student athletes on issues related to personal development.
Coordinates with the Students with Disabilities office to ensure accommodations and services needed for student athletes with disabilities are available.
5. Analyzes and maintains records and files in order to present written and oral reports to groups or individuals.
6. Provides information to coaches concerning students and prospective student athletes needs and academic/eligibility issues.
7. Complies with all applicable National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Southeastern Conference (SEC) regulations in the performance of job duties.
Minimum Education and Experience
Education Level Bachelor’s degree
Field of Study
Degree in Psychology, Counseling, Education,
Business, Sports Management, or related field