Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
TEMPORARY Groundskeeper Worker
State Center Community College District
TEMPORARY Groundskeeper Worker
SCCCD District Office - Fresno, CA
Under general supervision, performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled duties in the maintenance of grounds and landscaped areas throughout the District; operates grounds maintenance equipment; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Participates in a variety of landscape maintenance duties including trimming, mowing, aerating, edging, hedging, watering, weeding, planting, mulching, renovating and chipping.
- Maintains and conditions flowerbeds, planter beds, hedges, trees and lawns; picks up and hauls cuttings; installs and cultivates new plantings; installs sod, reseeds, fertilizes and renovates lawns and fields.
- Performs outdoor pest control and removal.
- Calibrates, mixes and applies various fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides; prepares required pesticide usage reports.
- Operates a variety of grounds maintenance equipment hand tools, including mowers, trimmers, edgers, power shears, weed eaters, jackhammers, grinders, chainsaws, hand saws and sprayers.
- Operates a variety of medium and large grounds maintenance machinery including tractors, riding and standing mowers, excavators, trenchers, skid steer loaders, boom lifts, scissor lifts and sweeper trucks.
- Installs, maintains and repairs irrigation systems and programs electronic controllers.
- Assists with tree and shrub pruning and uses equipment to remove cut and fallen branches.
- Performs general maintenance to campus grounds; picks up and disposes of trash; blows, sweeps and washes building exteriors, sidewalks and other hardscapes to maintain clean, safe and orderly conditions.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of historically minoritized groups and participates in professional development activities to increase cultural competency to enhance equity-minded practices within the District.
- Prepares outdoor athletic facilities and fields for games and special events in accordance with NCAA and other applicable specifications; paints lines, hashmarks and numbers; cleans fields and bleachers following events.
- Assists with concrete cutting, grinding, removal and finishing work associated with irrigation repairs and removal of pedestrian hazards.
- Performs traffic control while work is performed on roads and/or parking lots to keep the public at a safe distance and maintain traffic flow.
- Maintains routine records of work performed.
Employment Standards / Minimum Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Routine grounds maintenance procedures including mowing, edging, weeding and planting.
- Cultivating, fertilizing, watering and spraying flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Safe operation and maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment used in groundskeeping.
- Safe operation of medium and heavy equipment used in groundskeeping.
- Methods and materials used in controlling pests, insects and weeds.
- Basic methods and procedures for the installation, maintenance and repair of irrigation systems.
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation rules and requirements.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Applicable athletic facility specifications and regulations such as NCAA requirements.
- Perform semi-skilled and skilled grounds maintenance duties including prioritizing and scheduling work on campus grounds and athletic fields.
- Work independently and use sound judgment in performing grounds maintenance activities.
- Perform mowing, edging, watering, weeding, fertilizing and cultivating lawns, flowerbeds, athletic fields and other landscaped areas.
- Mix and apply specialized chemicals to control and eradicate weeds, insects and other pests.
- Operate, perform daily inspections of and maintain a variety of power and hand tools and light to heavy motorized equipment including tractors, power mowers, edgers and weed eaters.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Effectively engage and support historically minoritized groups by addressing issues of equity and improving culturally responsive service-oriented practices.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain routine records including pesticide and fertilizer usage records.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered in the course of work.
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and at least two years of experience in grounds maintenance; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance program.
A valid California Department of Pesticide Regulation Qualified Applicator Certificate or License.
Aerial work platform and powered industrial truck operator certificates.
Annual completion of Healthy Schools Act training.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee performs heavy physical labor with constant standing and walking for extended periods; walking over rough or uneven surfaces; frequent pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying of heavy objects weighing up to 75 pounds; frequent bending, stooping and kneeling; repetitive use of upper extremities on a regular basis; manual dexterity to safely operate motorized equipment and vehicles; ability to operate a motor vehicle or an electric cart to pick up/deliver supplies to various locations on or off campus; ability to travel to a variety of locations on and off campus as needed to conduct District business.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; analyze and solve problems; use shop math; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; work under deadlines with constant interruptions; and interact with District staff, other organizations and the public.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee works in outside weather conditions including extreme heat; exposure to sun for extended periods of time; on slippery or uneven surfaces. The employee works while wearing personal protection equipment including respirators, protective gloves and footwear, face shields, goggles, spray suits and rain suits. The employee is subject to exposure to dust, dirt, oil/grease, gasoline, diesel fuel, smoke and pollen; to hazardous materials such as pesticides, herbicides, solvents and other toxic chemicals and fumes; to extreme noise and fumes/exhaust from equipment and vehicle operation. The employee works with or around dangerous equipment and machinery with moving parts.
The employee may be required to travel to locations other than assigned work site and to adjust to work schedule changes and requirements to work overtime.
Only the most qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for this assignment.
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/scccd/jobs/3183952/temporary-groundskeeper-worker
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |