Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Senior Custodial Supervisor (5188U), Facilities Services - 33856
University of California, Berkeley
Senior Custodial Supervisor (5188U), Facilities Services - 33856
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Facilities Services supports the physical campus of the University of California, Berkeley. The department maintains and provides services to over 11,000,000 of space and 40,000 campus occupants through the efforts of over 400 trade, custodial and support staff. The department is committed to providing a safe workplace for its employees. The Departmental Safety Officer is responsible for establishing and implementing policies and practices for a culture of health and safety. The position Involves the cleaning and housekeeping of buildings and exterior areas including classrooms, laboratories, offices, auditoriums, Event Spaces, gymnasiums, health clinics, rest rooms, private rooms etc.. Also may involve trash and recycling material removal, meeting room set-up, and floor care.
The Custodial Haas Business School Operations Supervisor manages clients' day to day needs and all custodial outside contractor services. In addition it coordinates event cleaning logistics for over 200 events per year to include but not limited to cleaning and set-up. Position involves administrating contractual (MOU) documents that establish business relationships with Haas Business School and Facilities Services. Collaborates with internal partners to assure clients receive quality services for events and projects. Assures professional contracting services are provided in compliance with system-wide and campus policies and procedures when necessary.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 20, 2022
- Oversees daily activities of custodial employees.
- Directly assigns staff; sets standards for the quality and quantity of work produced; provides written instructions for normal operations and written or oral instructions for special assignments, and control activities. Inspects buildings and assigned areas for compliance with cleaning programs.
- Investigates complaints of unsatisfactory cleaning performance and takes corrective action to avoid repetition and resolve problems.
- Involved in all phases of custodial services planning, such as determining staffing levels and the development of custodial standards and specifications.
- Regularly evaluate and confirm staffing, equipment and product needs as needed.
- Oversees planning, organization and direction of routine custodial operations.
- Maintain and creatively enhance professional skills and expertise by being constantly alert for newer methods, techniques, equipment, and materials that will improve the overall operation of the department at reduced cost.
- Provides oral and written instructions to staff for requested special services which vary from routine operations.
- Inspects buildings and assigned areas for compliance with cleaning programs. Investigates complaints of unsatisfactory cleaning performance and takes corrective action to avoid repetition and resolve problems.
- Interviews prospective employees and recommends selection of qualified candidates.
- Responsible for ensuring that the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement and personnel policies are adhered to; ensures the evaluation of direct report employees according to U.C. and departmental procedures.
- Hires, trains and evaluates assigned career, limited and student staff.
- Oversees training and supervision of custodial staff to maintain an orderly, safe, and efficient cleaning operation.
- Determine equipment and supplies needed.
- Supervises a perpetual inventory system, including the requisitioning of new cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ensures proper receipt, storage and distribution of equipment, materials, and supplies issued to custodial staff
- Enforces safety, hazardous materials and custodial policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Reports safety hazards and submits work requests for items needing repair.
- Reports, orally or in writing, conditions requiring a higher level repair capability to supervisory staff.
- Prepares periodic reports, such as work activity, cost reports, resource (people) utilization and requirements in order to advise management staff of the status of custodial operations.
- Enforces proper handling and mixture of chemicals.
- Requires knowledge in the care and use of power equipment.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations for equipment, changes in cleaning methods, and work performance standards to ensure a more effective and efficient cleaning program.
- Participates in developing and monitoring operational and budget processes, and staff FTE.
- As assigned, contributes to the preparation of the annual equipment, supply, and personnel budget for the custodial operation.
- Monitor expenditures for area supply and equipment budget (approximately $400k) and verify payroll time reports for assigned employees.
- Review all timesheets and time card reports for accuracy (hours worked, sick and vacation leave taken) and assist with reconciling discrepancies prior to deadlines.
- Approves and controls vacation, sick leave, overtime and other requests.
- Maintains scheduling within prescribed budgetary guidelines.
- Maintains proper inventory needs and purchase inventory.
- Stays informed on current ergonomic equipment, green supplies and green vehicles.
- Manages small to large events custodial logistics including set-ups.
- Plans, organizes and implements small events or portions of larger events such as symposiums, conferences, program events, banquets, and VIP briefings.
- Responsible for performance management.
- Establishes and implements performance standards and achievable yearly objectives for the units assigned in support of departmental goals.
- Sets training standards for new employees and ensures that standards are being met by follow-up with supervisors and by personal observations.
- Periodically review site activities, meeting with staff, and observing the unit custodial operations under the unit custodial supervisor.
- Responsible for developing, delivering and evaluating comprehensive training to all assigned employees to include, but not limited to the following:
- Organizational and facility orientation, safety/IIPP, administrative procedures, job specific procedures and techniques, rules and regulations, standards and professionalism, expectations and levels of competency, quality standards, customer service and organizational values.
- Works with outside contractors for job walk-throughs and details, contracts, performance management and payments.
- Work various Shift to make sure quality is meet.
- Provides health and safety training, guidance on safe work practices, provides proper equipment, observes work practices and correct methods and investigates accidents.
- Work in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations using personal safety gear, observes warning signs, learning about potential hazards and reporting unsafe conditions
- Solid knowledge in custodial and housekeeping services.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills in the English language, active listening, flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management.
- Solid decision making and reasoning skills, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and perform operations analysis and quality control analysis.
- Solid and effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other personnel.
- Intermediate computer applications skills.
- Knowledge of safe work practices.
- Conferrable using different CMMS and Event planning software.
- Good judgment and effective decision-making and problem resolution skills, including skill to recognize and deal effectively and appropriately with real and potential problem areas, including skill to determine the issues/problems that need to be brought to the attention of higher-level staff and/or management.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Ability to establish priorities follows plans, & complete goals/objectives.
- Working knowledge of concepts, principles and practices of event planning.
- High school diploma and/or equivalent certification.
- Blood born pathogen and sharps disposal training.
- 10 years of work experience in custodial services, preferably in a college/university or Hospital.
- 5 Years managing experience a Custodial operation.
- Requires advanced knowledge of professional custodial services experience including: methods, equipment and chemicals used in performing professional custodial services work.
- Experience with all types of floors, power wash, recycling, and carpets.
- Requires knowledge in the care and use of power equipment.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
- This position has two openings and will remain open until filled.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=33856&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |