Interested individuals should apply directly for the statistical research specialist position with a letter of interest accompanied by a resume at SIU’s Jobs website at http://www.siumed.edu/jobs/
TITLE: Statistical Research Specialist
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Center for Clinical Research, Statistics and Research Informatics Core
The functions of the Statistics and Research Informatics Core are: 1) to develop and maintain a service resource in research design and statistical methodologies for the purpose of providing statistical consultation to faculty, staff, and students; 2) to provide an environment to faculty and staff in the program that promotes and encourages the academic functions of teaching, research, and service.
Under the general supervision of the Team Leader, Statistics and Research Informatics Core, Center for Clinical Research, the appointee will be responsible for all aspects of data organization and management using REDCap software. Produce periodic reports from REDCap and Microsoft Access databases. Merge and organize files from large nationwide databases (HCUP, Medicare/Medicaid) for analyses by statisticians at the Center for Clinical Research.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following information is intended to be representative of the work performed by incumbent in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
- Manage the REDCap portal in Administrator capacity including project creation and management of user accounts.
- Create data entry forms for longitudinal and cross-sectional projects in REDCap.
- Learn and adapt new features in REDCap such as integration with electronic health records.
- Provide consultation to faculty and staff within the School of Medicine, as well as outside the School, in designing data collection procedures and setting up data files.
- Develop methods of downloading data from national data banks into locally designed databases to meet the needs of specific research projects.
- Develop detailed documentation of programs and procedures to assist others in developing and maintaining systems.
- Assist Center staff in fulfilling its "honest broker" function by designing and implementing data de-identification procedures and perform other data-related activities required to meet data confidentiality and related requirements.
- Write, debug, modify, and test new statistical programs as necessary.
- Create research data files using SAS or other statistical software.
- Bachelors’ degree in computer science, informatics, statistics or related field and at least two (2) years of experience with software/databases such as REDCap, The Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project – HCUP databases (in particular, the National Inpatient Sample), NHANES, and Medicaid/Medicare data.
- Proficient in SAS or other statistical software.
- Sensitive to the needs of underrepresented minority populations.