HR Generalist 2 (7595U), BEARS Region - 5406
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 11, 2020
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS), Berkeley Educators & Administrators Regional Services (BEARS) - a unit of the UC Berkeley Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration -provides reliable, high-quality administrative support to the Chancellor's, EVCP, Vice Chancellors', administrative, auxiliary, and other units that support academic excellence at UC Berkeley. Not only is BEARS the largest service region, it supports the largest variety of personnel positions in realizing UC Berkeley's mission of teaching, research, and public service.
- Under general supervision, coordinates administrative tasks for the performance evaluation process, rewards and recognition programs, and compensation programs.
- Applies professional HR concepts when counseling employees concerning work-related issues of moderate scope and complexity..
- Provide guidance to supervisors and managers in developing job descriptions, facilitating benefits communications, and providing guidance on compensation programs, personnel policies, and procedures.
- Under general supervision provides advice and counsel to client groups according to established human resources policies and procedures.
- Generates reports in UC Systems,, conducts HR trends analyses and helps develop resulting recommendations.
- Work in tandem with other teams, including First Contact, Payroll, HCM, Central Human Resources, Leaves, and Recruitment to manage sensitive and confidential information and effectively and collaboratively interacts with client groups.
- Has working knowledge of HR generalist areas, such as compensation, benefits, leaves, recruitment, and employee/labor relations
- Experienced in utilizing Excel and Word (E.G. creating formulas, reports, mail merge)
- Has analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrates organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Possesses basic knowledge of human resources policies and programs and campus policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Human Resources Management System (HRMS) and/or other related business software programs and systems.
- Proficient in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and in integrating information in the completion of assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5406&PostingSeq=1