Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Internal Communications Manager
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Internal Communications Manager
Public Relations Communications
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
As a member of the Public Relations & Strategic Communications team in University Marketing Communications, the Internal Communications Manager works with senior leadership and campus partners to establish, implement, and regularly measure and adapt strategies and approaches to inform and engage the WPI community (faculty, staff, and the student body). They do this by identifying relevant news and information for the community and communicating through multiple platforms and channels, including but not limited to the university website and mobile app, email newsletters, social media, digital screens, and events. They serve as a supporting member of issues management and crisis response teams, and support PR, communications, and marketing colleagues in distributing content to the WPI community. Must be an excellent writer, editor, and project manager.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish and oversee internal communications strategy, working collaboratively with senior leadership, MarCom colleagues, and campus partners, particularly Talent & Inclusion and Student Affairs, to provide guidance on sustainable and effective mechanisms for informing and engaging the community.
- Use internal communications to advance university goals, align internal communications with public relations and marketing initiatives and strategies.
- Serve as the first point of contact for MarCom colleagues and campus partners for internal communications, including established platforms (Herd, WPI Today) and any other new platforms and channels developed.
- Serve as editor of the Herd, evaluating its effectiveness and further integrating it with WPI Today, the daily e-news sent to WPI employees; focus on developing the right Herd storiesand, as necessary, the team of freelance writers to achieve publishing goalssetting community readership goals, and assessing performance; support PR and marketing goals that may require Herd content.
- Contribute to divisional editorial calendar.
- Curate and oversee production of WPI Today; assess impact and engage in continuous improvement strategies to unify internal communications stream at WPI, which requires partnership with IT in the proper and effective use of The WPI Hub.
- Manage and improve WPI Today news page, which serves as both a news site for media and an internal site for the community.
- Help create content about signature programs.
- Contribute to the Expert Database.
- Engage social media in cooperation with MarCom colleagues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Five to seven years of experience
- Previous communications or journalism experience preferred (higher ed experience a plus)
- Working knowledge of internal relations concepts, practices, platforms and procedures
- Familiarization with SEO best practices, digital publishing, and ability to work with content management systems (Drupal, WordPress)
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to create and content, and adapt/recast existing content based upon audiences
- Positive attitude
- Self-starter who is results-oriented, able to make decisions independently and take action
- Commitment to excellence
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must be a team player
- Ability to work within a changing and dynamic department
- WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Internal-Communications-Manager_R0001476
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |