Designs, creates, and coordinates a variety of aspects related to the costume and wardrobe planning and execution for theatrical productions on campus.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Theater Costume Designer and Wardrobe Coordinator will oversee and provide leadership related to the design, construction, preparation, repair and maintenance of costumes used in the college's theatrical and dance productions. The Theater Costume Designer and Wardrobe Coordinator will serve as the subject matter expert and theater liaison in creating costume designs for theatrical and dance productions to ensure that the appropriate classical, contemporary, traditional and non-traditional costume design style and time period is reflective of the theatrical performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Designs, constructs, prepares, repairs, and maintains costumes to be used in college theatrical and dance productions. Assists with the design, creation, acquisition and organization of theatrical or dance properties (props) as needed.
* Oversees the organization, preparation, planning, prioritization, laundry and direction for hourly and student work assignments to ensure costumes and wardrobes are properly prepared and readily available for college theatrical and dance productions.
* Maintains and updates costume and wardrobe collections, inventories, and assists with ongoing costume rentals and maintenance as needed.
* Works with actors/dancers/models to obtain measurements for appropriate fit of costumes; drafts patterns to fit performers to allow proper movement for stage performance if required; cut and sew costumes to ensure costumes can be modified and altered for future use in performances and rental opportunities.
* Reads, reviews, analyzes, and interprets play scripts to prepare theatrical costume and wardrobe recommendations; collaborates with theater and/or dance director to ensure costumes, makeup/hair design, and historical periods are accurately portrayed in all theatrical productions.
* Prepares drawings, photos, schematics or other media to develop and present ideas/plans for theatrical and dance costume design; collaborate with the director and theater staff during production meetings and rehearsals in order to present ideas/plans for costume design and direction.
* Monitors budget expenditures in collaboration with department chair, directors, division dean and/or production manager; maintain tracking record to ensure project expenses are within projected costs. Identify and report any discrepancies or expenditure constraints to appropriate management for direction or recommendations.
* Prepares cost estimates for budget recommendations; submits justifications for costume and makeup materials; monitors and controls expenditures.
* Oversees costume and wardrobe shop activities, including but not limited to: cleaning, pressing, repairing and proper storage of costumes during and after productions; directs the work of student and part time hourly employees. Coordinates their activities in support of theatrical costume/wardrobe preparation and performance needs. Monitors and processes time sheets for student and other temporary help.
* Oversees all shop equipment; schedule maintenance and/or repairs as needed.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.