The Applications Database Administrator II contributes a high degree of technical and professional judgment in planning and executing ERP software upgrades and supporting system architectures.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
This position is responsible for system upgrades, patches, conversions, migrations, application system performance and monitoring, troubleshooting, quality control, security, backup and recovery systems. This position interacts and provides technical support to ERP developers in development and production environments, and provides ongoing support and maintenance to mission critical ERP applications to ensure maximum performance and high availability. This position keeps abreast of current trends and emerging technologies especially in PeopleSoft/Oracle technology, adopts best practices, and documents user procedures. Must provide off-hour support when required. The Applications Database Administrator II reports to the Manager of Database Administration.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology (IT) or a closely related discipline.
2. Five (5) years of progressively more responsible work experience in design, development, implementation and testing of technical solutions in ERP systems or web, application and systems administration.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Master’s degree in Information Technology (IT) or a closely related discipline
2. 7 years of experience in database administration and PeopleSoft systems administration
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Intermediate Proficiency in Customer and Team Focus: Relates well to people both inside and outside the organization and is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all. He/she is team-oriented, cooperative, trustworthy, respectful, supportive, diplomatic, tactful and collaborative, and works to build and maintain effective relationships with both customers and peers. Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services.
2. Intermediate Proficiency in Driving for Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully and is constantly and consistently one of the top performers. Enjoys working hard and pursues challenging tasks with energy, drive and a need to finish even in the face of setbacks or resistance. Is very bottom-line and action oriented to steadfastly push self and others.
3. Advanced / High Level of Ethics and Values: Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times. Acts in line with those values to reward the right values and disapprove of others. Practices what he/she preaches. Complies with State of Illinois ethics laws and completes annual NIU Ethics training.
4. Intermediate /Moderate Level of Proficiency for Learning on the Fly: Is a bright, intelligent, agile, capable, and versatile learner and problem solver who uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Experiments, analyzes and creates new and unique ideas to find fruitful answers to complex problems and quickly grasps the essence and underlying structure of anything. Analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement and enjoys the challenges of unfamiliar tasks.
5. Intermediate / Moderate Level of Proficiency in Time Management: Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently. Values time and concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities. Performs tasks in a timely manner and can attend to a broader range of activities.
6. Intermediate / Moderate Level of Self-Knowledge: Notices the need to change personal, interpersonal and managerial behavior quickly based on knowing one’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and limits. Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve, adjust and compensate for mistakes and seeks criticism and feedback.
7. Intermediate / Moderate Level of Proficiency in Communicating Effectively and Professionally: Presents ideas clearly in both verbal and written formats. Listens attentively and tailors communication based on the audience. Presents a professional image in all communications.
8. Intermediate / Moderate Level of Demonstrated Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, judgment, experience and useful results. Provides recommendations to others that produce consistent and effective business outcomes. Consulted by others for advice and problem-solving.
9. Intermediate Proficiency in Troubleshooting and Resolving Technical / Functional Issues: Applies fundamental problem-solving and analytical thinking techniques to functional and technical issue resolution including but not limited to service requests, service interruptions, data requests, network issues, job interruptions, and system outages.
10. Intermediate Proficiency in Applying Computer Software Knowledge: Applies understanding of the software development life cycle, training software tools, ERP software tools, and office software tools.
11. Intermediate Proficiency in Applying Operating System Tools, Databases, and Applications Knowledge: Applies knowledge of tools, techniques and practices for the development, maintenance and operations of systems. Uses and understands the interactions and interoperability of different operating system applications for various tasks including but not limited to systems monitoring, customer support, administration, databases, web interfacing, systems management, printing, and network management.
12. Intermediate Proficiency in Applying Knowledge of NIU & DoIT (Division of Information Technology) Policies and Procedures: Understands NIU & DoIT policy and procedural impacts to business results. Recommends the development of new policies or modifications to existing policies where appropriate.
13. Intermediate Functional / Technical Skills: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment, and can also learn new skills and knowledge when appropriate. These skills include:
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, HCM, and FSCM
- Knowledge of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, including management of VMs, LBAAS, and cloud-based automation tools.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft application technologies e.g. PIA architecture, PeopleTools, Tuxedo, WebLogic, Integration Broker, Process Scheduler, Application Designer, environment migrations, and comparison reports
- Knowledge of Data Mover, COBOL, SQR, SQL, nVision, Change Assistant, and SQL Developer.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Update Manager (PUM) and Oracle DBMS
- Knowledge of network architecture and management
- Knowledge of security and firewall protocols
- Knowledge of disaster recovery and moving application to production procedures
- Knowledge of PowerShell, Batch, and Unix shell scripting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills