Program Coordinator (4722C) 1793 - 1793
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 14, 2019.
For full consideration, please submit your application by November 7th, 2019.
The Canadian Studies Program at the University of California, Berkeley was established in 1982, with the aim of institutionalizing the interdisciplinary study of Canada through the promotion of research, academic dialogue and public outreach. The Canadian Studies Program encourages and facilitates an awareness of Canadian issues on the UC Berkeley campus and in the wider community.
The Institute of International Studies (IIS) is an organized research unit reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Research. The Institute supports interdisciplinary research among faculty, graduate students, undergraduates, and visitors on issues of global concern. IIS sponsors and facilitates academic research activities, graduate student fellowships and a variety of programmatic interdisciplinary colloquia, seminars and conferences. IIS also serves as the administrative unit for the Center on the Politics of Development as well as institutes and centers focused on foreign area studies: the Center for African Studies; the Canadian Studies Program; the Center for Latin American Studies, the Institute for European Studies; the Institute for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies; and the Institute for South Asia Studies.
This is a full-time program coordinator position shared between the Canadian Studies Program (50%) and the Institute of International Studies (50%)
Communications & Outreach
- Answer phone or email inquiries
- Maintain the website and email listserv
- Process purchase orders, request for reimbursements, and travel and entertainment reimbursement requests through campus Bearbuy and BFS systems.
- Collect and process grant,' visiting scholar, fellowship and scholarship applications received
- Process financial transfers to faculty, visiting scholars and students awarded grants and scholarships
- Administer the disbursement and tracking of FLAS awards for all IIS units, in cooperation with the Graduate Division
- Other daily operations of the institute, as assigned
- Produce bi-annual program newsletter and develop other communication strategies.
- Organize bi-annual External Advisory Board meetings: prepare report of activities, summary of financial position, take and write up Board meeting minutes.
- Prepare annual report of activity for funders.
- Process donations to and send thank-you acknowledgements.
- Plan and execute all events, meetings, and conferences: reserving rooms, contacting caterers, etc.
- Correspond with guest speakers, arrange travel and hotel accommodations, coordinate honoraria payments and reimbursements.
- Design events flyers and publicize events via email blasts, social media, etc.
- H.S. diploma and equivalent work experience
- Minimum one year experience planning events.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skill including social media use.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrate ability to think critically, juggle competing demands, and analyze and solve problems in keeping deadlines.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills required, including professional and courteous interaction with a variety of stakeholders.
- Note that some events may require work after 5 pm or on the weekends.
- Knowledge of UC Berkeley ordering systems (Bearbuy, BFS) and how to complete reimbursement and expense paperwork, complete purchase orders, and make travel reservations.
- Experience using social media for professional communications.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience in website maintenance / web design
- Knowledge and familiarity with Canadian issues a plus
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1793&PostingSeq=1