The College of Sciences and Mathematics (COSAM) at Auburn University is seeking a qualified applicant to serve as the Director of the Auburn University Alabama Math, Science and Technology Initiative (AU-AMSTI) site.
1. Supervise professional learning for administrators, specialists, and/or teachers based on
ALSDE guidance and LEA needs, including online options. Instructional and resource
components used will be defined and identified by AMSTI-ALSDE.
2. Assist AMSTI-ALSDE in developing and maintaining common professional learning offerings
and supporting resources for AMSTI and/or for the ALSDE, including online options (In
some locations, this includes supervision of AMSTI-ASIM staff and in other locations
coordinating with the ASIM PI).
3. Participate in AMSTI professional learning activities and meetings as required by the ALSDE
unless prior approval for absence is granted.
4. Supervise the provision of ongoing support and coaching to leaders, teachers, AMSTI lead
teachers, certified AMSTI facilitators, instructional coaches, Teachers-in-Residence, and/or
administrators based on ALSDE guidance and LEA needs.
5. Supervise the recruitment and selection process for schools and teachers that are
recommended to the ALSDE to receive AMSTI professional learning opportunities.
6. Supervise research on the effects of current math, science, and/or technology practices in
AMSTI classrooms, as requested by the ALSDE.
7. Provide data-driven guidance and support to LEAs and schools.
8. Coordinate with other AMSTI sites and other entities, as needed, to provide educator
support (including, but not limited to, joint-regional professional learning, professional
learning outside the region).
9. Communicate with school districts in the region to share important and timely information.
10. Implement public relations and social media guidelines to foster positive relationships with the public, community, university, and with other entities.
11. Coordinate with other AMSTI sites, as needed, to provide materials support.
12. Work with Business/Materials Managers to make site-level decisions based on ALSDE guidance and
13. Secure instructional and operational materials needed by specialists and other site staff.
14. Supervise the effective operation of the AMSTI Site (including, but not limited to,
supervising/coordinating AMSTI/ASIM staff and warehouse operations, delegating tasks/projects to the appropriate staff, budgeting for site activities, coordinating with stakeholders, pursuing grants/other forms of funding, etc).
15. Participate in the development and implementation of the AMSTI state strategic plan including
participation in workgroups.
16. Develop and implement a site strategic plan which aligns with the AMSTI state strategic plan.
17. Participate in the development, maintenance, and promotion of AMSTI resources according to the
resource development guidelines.
18. Establish and maintain a positive culture/climate within the AMSTI staff, including updating staff with
the latest information from ALSDE.
19. Maintain documentation (including, but not limited to, finances, operations, professional learning
opportunities, evaluations, staff schedules, etc.) and complete paperwork in a timely manner.
20. Communicate and collaborate with AMSTI-ALSDE to implement all AMSTI projects, recognizing
that the ALSDE is the final authority regarding policies and operations of AMSTI Sites.
21. Communicate with AMSTI-ALSDE and Auburn University in advance as it pertains to retirement or
resignation plans (under normal circumstances, a minimum of six-month advance notice is
22. Work a minimum 40-hour workweek. Workdays shall conform to a regular schedule (for example 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) that allows services to be provided during school hours. Responsibilities may occasionally require work beyond the regular workday schedule.
23. Director responsibilities include, but are not limited to, those listed in
all categories above; Directors may be required to perform other duties as assigned by
AMSTI-ALSDE and Auburn Univesity.
This position reports to the Director of the STEM Outreach Center in the College of Sciences and Mathematics at Auburn University, the organizational unit that houses AMSTI.