Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Benefits and Leave Coordinator 3 (7720U), Central HR -
University of California, Berkeley
Benefits and Leave Coordinator 3 (7720U), Central HR -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 17, 2019
Central Human Resources is valued as UC Berkeley's proactive people partner while utilizing the following HR Strategies:
- Bring clarity and efficiency to HR processes and structures through cross-team collaboration and transparent communication.
- Use development opportunities beyond training to create deeper engagement, higher trust and better performance.
- Apply Berkeley brand to developing a shared enterprise contributor mindset among all employees.
- Administers and communicates the University's employee and postdoctoral scholars benefits programs which may include subject matter areas in any combination of retirement and savings, health and welfare and/or benefits administration.
- Provides in-depth information on entire scope of benefits packages, eligibility rules, enrollment information, basic use of UC Path, plan literature and forms usage.
- Provides in-depth technical counseling, and problem resolution ranging from routine to extremely complex, in assigned area(s) upon request, to faculty and staff who need to weigh all options and aspects of their benefits, including advising faculty and staff on the impacts of various ongoing scenarios.
- Responsible for interpreting, analyzing and providing solutions to more unusual or unique problems which are less well-defined and have substantial impact on the organization.
- May provide in-depth research on a variety of benefits-related issues and problems; consolidates information from a variety of sources, offices, and employees in a written summary with recommendation options for possible resolution.
- As requested, maintain data and statistics on benefits programs.
- May be the technical expert and act as office resource on the most complex technical questions of subject matter area.
- Influences and shapes employee benefits programs.
- Reviews UCOP draft communications and literature, and provides feedback and suggestions.
- Provides guidance to campus HR administrators in assigned subject matter areas.
- Provide solid guidance regarding the impact on benefits of changes in employment status such as leave of absence, return to work, separation, and death.
- Administer UC Berkeley's rehired retiree program in accordance with UC Regents Policy.
- Provide policy and procedural guidance on the program
- Review of approvals packets for plan compliance, submit requests for determinations, and track request.
- Complete Quarterly Exceptions and Semi-Annual Compliance Reporting
- Act as liaison between campus employees, campus departments, Office of the President, Academic Personnel, Payroll and Fidelity Retirement Services in resolving a variety of issues
- Coordinates with other campus programs as needed
- Participates in unit development and delivery of programs by providing recommendations and information based on professional expertise.
- Takes responsibility for developing and/or revising assigned aspects of programs.
- Works in concert with other team members in delivering programs through various internal (counseling and customer service) and external (written communications and presentations to both departments as well as faculty and staff) channels.
- Emphasis is on benefits information of a highly-complex, technical nature in any number of specialized subject-matter areas.
- Coordinates with other team members in all logistical aspects of presentation provision.
- Develops internal procedures and updates internal cover letters and checklists.
- Develops implementation plans, and/or administers or coordinates moderate-scale program.
- Analyzes circumstances and makes recommendations regarding procedures and policies relating to compliance pursuant to federal and state requirements.
- Ensures compliance with applicable legislation and policy on case by case basis.
- As needed, reviews, researches and acts on various reports.
- As needed, participates in special projects involving research, data analysis, the identification of data inconsistencies, providing information to management, and recommending approaches for maintaining compliance.
- May provide guidance and direction to other members of staff.
- May serve as a team or functional lead.
- Professional development.
- Possesses analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Has in-depth knowledge of campus policies and procedures; knowledge of functional area and understands how work may impact other areas.
- Shows comprehensive knowledge of the University's employee benefits function and other areas of human resources.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of all benefit programs and applies knowledge in order to provide information, plan interpretation, manage routine and complex cases, and resolve problems.
- Demonstrates strong, effective writing, speaking, interpersonal, group presentation, and project management skills.
- Demonstrates ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Demonstrates very good knowledge of business software and University systems.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism; conducts business in accordance with policies governed by legislation such as COBRA, ACA and HIPAA.
- Ability to maintain effective professional relationships with internal, campus-wide and system-wide colleagues.
- Works in a collaborative, collegial manner with others across the organization to prioritize and complete multiple assignments on time.
Salary & Benefits
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $71,400.00 - $75,000.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27214&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |