Academic Program Manager (4574U) - IEOR - 1656
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 9/25/19
The Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (SCET) is the premiere institution at UC Berkeley for the study and practice of entrepreneurship and technology innovation. SCET is globally recognized for developing the Berkeley Method, an internationally recognized approach to teaching technology entrepreneurship to undergraduates, innovation to Ph.D. students, and technology firm leadership to professionals and executives. If you are interested in new ventures or innovation on the Berkeley campus or beyond, SCET is the place to be.
This position is to support the Director of Operations who develops and manages the academics, finances, human resources, and operations of the Center which includes numerous programs: Berkeley Academics, Executive Education, Global and Corporate Partnerships, and Research Labs. Over the past few years the Center has grown in size to educate over 2,000 students each year, offer more classes in entrepreneurship and technology, add and grow new programs such as the Blockchain Xcelerator and Alternative Meat program as well as grow the size of the staff and researcher populations. To efficiently and effectively manage the numerous Center programs and ventures it is vital to add this position in support of the Director of Operations.
- Applies professional Student Services concepts in providing a variety of student services to the student population served by the organization, and to faculty and management within that organization. Provides advice and assistance to students on academic progress. Within an academic department/school/college or organization, provides student services in the following areas.
- Oversee Certificate processing: reviews student eligibility for Certificate, processes and sends Certificates, tracks Certificate awardees, recommends process improvements.
- Provides information to students and faculty regarding campus policies and procedures on student conduct. Provide guidance on policy interpretation, assist with scheduling and enrollment concerns, serve as point of contact for logistic and event planning inquiries. Assists in coordination of class visitors including mentors and guest speakers.
- Coordinate student ambassador program including recruitment, hiring, training, and providing resources. Serve as liaison between ambassador program and Center. Ensuring ambassador program supports Center mission and goals. Guides ambassadors on fundraising opportunities and referrals.
- Finances: Participates in the processing and awarding of funding, fellowships, grants, and other awards..
- Oversees day-to-day Center purchasing and reimbursement systems.
- Assist Director of Operations with finances including pre-award contract and fund creation, allocation and expense transfers, quarter audits and fiscal close.
- Prepares paperwork for intern hiring, staff and faculty one-time payments and honorariums.
- Recruitment and Admissions: Implements outreach programs with specifically targeted institutions; advises prospective applicants on necessary academic preparation; appropriateness of program as it pertains to the prospective applicant's goals.
- Manage student enrollment data, provide guidance to Director of Operations regarding enrollment trends. Recommends target populations for admission and recruitment efforts.
- Evaluates program within entrepreneurship community at Cal, domestic and internationally. Makes recommendations on areas of collaboration and opportunities for improvement.
- Assists Chief Marketing Officer with Center annual review and serves as liaison between Center academic courses and publicity/marketing efforts. Recommends stories, social media planning, and referrals for interviews.
- Course Scheduling: Reviews course requirements and student course progression, and advises department on scheduling needs.
- Coordinates academic class scheduling; Ensures avoidance of class conflicts; makes changes to classes based on academic and instructor need; schedules one-time class events. Serves as point of contact for Course Coordinators including recruitment, hiring, training, provides resources, data and referral collection, and reviews.
- Events: Coordinates and implements non-complex student events and assists in the planning and implementation of complex events.
- Manage academic and Center events including recruitment events (CalDay and Open House), student end of year events (e.g. Certificate graduation), instructor training, workshops and bootcamps, Center retreat, assists with Collider Cup. Guides Center student intern team to execute events.
This is a full-time (100%), one-year contract
- Knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
- Understanding of University rules and regulations.
- Interpersonal skills. Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
- Skills in service orientation, active listening, critical thinking.
- Ability in problem identification, reasoning.
- Ability to multi-task, verbal communication, written communication, organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Applications.
- Knowledge of University-specific computer application programs and pertinent databases preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of University processes and procedures.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
*The hourly salary range designated for this position: $23.94 - $31.00; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
*This is a one-year contract position. Contract positions may be extended based on operational demand. Contract positions are eligible to participate in the health and welfare programs offered by UC Berkeley.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1656&PostingSeq=1