Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Special Projects Coordinator (7377U)
University of California Berkeley
Special Projects Coordinator (7377U)
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 4, 2020
At Berkeley Optometry, we have long lived by guiding principles that define and differentiate us. As part of a world-renowned university that embraces excellence and access, we foster an environment of trust and mutual respect, free expression and inquiry, and personal resilience and achievement. We are strongly committed to diversity, respect for cultural differences, and promotion of social justice. These principles serve us daily in our reasoning and actions and aid us in our decision making.
We educate an estimated 320 students annually. Our O.D. program is a 4 year program with clinical training provided at 2 campus clinics, 10 satellite clinics (community care), 7 VA clinics, and 24 external clinics across the country. Our one-year post-graduate residency programs provide advanced clinical education in specialty areas of optometry to 18 residents with placement on and off campus and our Vision Science program consists of 40 PhD students.
Reporting to the Sr. Assistant Dean of Operations and the Executive Director for the Center for Innovation in Vision and Optics (CIVO): the incumbent will provide comprehensive coordination and management oversight of research programs and new initiatives, including CIVO. CIVO is a medium-sized research unit that promotes innovative display, graphics, and optical technology for the healthy and diseased eye.
- Manages, plans and administers a range of administrative operations in a small to medium academic department, or a small to medium non-academic department or program. Administrative operations include budgetary financial management and human resources and some of the following functions: IT, facilities, student services, and/or contracts and grants.
- Organizes, plans, establishes and monitors fiscal budget control of contracts and grants administration, gifts, endowments, and privately funded projects.
- Analyzes transactions, expenditures, identifies and resolves discrepancies, financial and inventory reports. Develops and/or oversees non-competing continuations, supplements and other award/agreement amendments.
- Advises department administrators on compliance regulations.
- Develops professional relationships with sponsor representatives.
- Manages event logistics including: planning, organizing, and identifying event locations and vendors. Works directly with vendors to negotiate and coordinate meeting arrangements.
- Helps update archives of data sets in the CIVO website. Takes in and summarizes input from industrial partners to help CIVO faculty better understand how best to serve those partners.
- Facilitates discussions between faculty and the technology licensing office of the university in order to best facilitate, document, and advertise the development of intellectual property.
- Researches and drafts complex proposals, reports, briefings, executive summaries, and talking points.
- Successfully manage multiple projects.
- Develop technical solutions to improve workforce efficiency and launch new initiatives.
- Develops and prepares budgets and financial reports for funding which may be complex. Establishes recordkeeping systems in compliance with institutional and sponsor policies.
- Fund management for CIVO
- Fund management for special projects and new initiatives.
- Provides input into non-technical portions of grant and contract proposals.
- Liaison with CSS-Research Administration to administer faculty research proposals for CIVO and/or the school.
- Coordinates and participates in a variety of human resources activities including employment, training, classification and ensuring the completion of forms and documents related to HR and Payroll for unit/department.
- May supervise a small staff of support employees and/or students.
- Performs studies for resource plans, including approaches, trends, sources and uses.
- Applies professional concepts to provide projections, analyze spending and recommend adjustments.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial and HR reports.
- Assists in the design and drafting of organizational website content; drafts newsletters and correspondence to organizational constituents.
- Maintains and updates website with abstracts about current research findings and technical developments, resumes of graduate students and postdocs, publications, invention disclosures and patent applications.
- Administers user permissions to access website.
- Administers facilities and space logistics and manages equipment needs.
- May assist with fundraising related duties.
- Assist with collecting annual fees.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of gifts: Reconcile fund balances.
- Support the development of fundraising plans for new initiatives.
- Thorough knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operations activities such as events planning, basic fundraising processes, risk management planning, website design, accounting and payroll, and contracts and grants regulations and guidelines.
- Interpersonal communication skills to include verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Adequate skills in website management, social media, and Wordpress platforms.
- Ability to navigate University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, account and fund management or the ability to learn.
- Advanced analytical/problem-solving skills.
- Advanced skills and experience in all levels of project management.
- Strong ability to see projects through completion.
- Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Strong ability to build and maintain relationships with a broad range of staff and members of the community.
- Outstanding communication skills demonstrated by the ability to interact comfortably with a wide range of diverse people, including executives, professional staff, students, faculty, system-wide colleagues, and the public. This includes the ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing, in different styles as appropriate to the audience.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Thorough knowledge of University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, account and fund management, personnel management or the ability to learn.
- Knowledge of common University-specific computer application programs, including BearBuy and Berkeley Financial System (BFS) or the ability to learn.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=3677&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |