Program Coordinator (6291U) Job 27322 - Inst. of Transportation Studies (ITS)
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 8/5/19
For 70 years, the Institute of Transportation Studies at the University of California, Berkeley, has been recognized as one of the world's leading centers for transportation research, education, and scholarship.
The Institute was created as an Organized Research Unit in 1948 by the California state legislature in response to the deferred maintenance of transportation facilities during World War II. Its mission was to conduct research and provide instruction to a new generation of transportation professionals.
Today ITS Berkeley is home to a large and diverse community of people who study all aspects of transportationfrom technological advances to social and environmental consequences.
** Plans, organizes and implements small events or portions of larger events such as symposiums, conferences, program events, banquets, and VIP briefings. Events may include: the ITS seminar series, reception at annual meeting of Transportation Research Board, CalDay, open house, graduation party, holiday party, and hosted visits of individuals and delegations.
** Participates in planning, organizing and staffing larger or more complex events, including being assigned responsibility for a specific event segment such as parking/transportation, catering, etc.
** Updates and maintains web pages using basic knowledge of web editing tools. Serves as main point of contact for ITS SPA owned accounts and mailing lists.
** Provides general and event related administrative and office support for the unit, including but not limited to coordinating event related and other purchasing, travel arrangements and reimbursement, entertainment, and speaker payments with the administrative shared service centers, and managing the unit's parking and equipment resource calendars.
** Serve as point person for unit facilities, supplies, and office equipment. Facilitates moves, faculty, staff, and student office space, furniture, and operations requests and issues keys. Serves as safety and ergonomic coordinator; maintain first aid and emergency supplies, coordinate with building safety manager.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Working knowledge of concepts, principles and practices of event planning and production and public relations.
- Working organizational skills, including skill in effectively coordinating and organizing many details on multiple projects.
- Good interpersonal communication skills, political acumen, and social perceptiveness, including skill in effectively representing the campus to its publics.
- Good judgment and effective decision-making and problem resolution skills, including skill to recognize and deal effectively and appropriately with real and potential problem areas, including skill to determine the issues/problems that need to be brought to the attention of higher level staff and/or management.
- Computer skills to work efficiently in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Adobe Acrobat Professional (Photoshop and Illustrator a plus), Google Apps for Education (bMail, bCal, docs/sheets/etc.) and Pantheon/Drupal.
- Solid written communication skills.
Salary & Benefits
- Working knowledge of the campus, its programs, policies, mission, goals, objectives, achievements and infrastructure.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
*The hourly salary range designated for this position: $21.70 - $33.00; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27322&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1