Provides administrative and technical support to special funded programs and activities that reach out to economically disadvantaged students and contribute to enrollment, school readiness, and retention. Serves as first point of contact for inquiries and assists with outreach, registration and courses, and targeted services to student and community groups.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Student Programs Specialist provides clerical and program support for students applying for and actively engaged in the programs. Programs such as EOPS, CARE, and Foster Youth are State-sponsored and designed to attract and retain economically and socially disadvantaged ant otherwise at-risk students into higher education. The Specialist serves in an outreach capacity to support a program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Provides information to potential students regarding extended opportunity programs, application procedures, and College enrollment, along with referral to other services.
* Provides intake of students. Determines eligibility of students. Reviews financial and other information and applies guidelines for acceptance. Certifies continuing eligibility of students receiving services.
* Assists with conducting outreach activities targeting economically disadvantaged students eligible for EOPS financial aid assistance and/or services. Assists students with enrollment, including inputting data onto student databases.
* Distributes and delivers advertisements, brochures, newsletters, and informational materials and other media to promote interest in the EOPS, CARE, Foster Care and other similar programs.
* Collects and records statistical and demographic information about potential and current students. Inputs data onto an automated information system using established data entry screens, including information used for determining funding levels.
* Assists and provides support to students concerning class schedules, career goals, instructors, and academic progress. Assists students in resolving problems and in communicating effectively with others.
* Establishes and maintains records of student contact. Inputs student data and follow up as needed with telephone calls and correspondence.
* Refers students to various community employment and social service organizations, employment/unemployment offices, and other local businesses.
* Assists in planning, organizing, and providing a variety of student support services and workshops, and advisory board meetings.
* Determines and certifies continuing eligibility of students receiving services.
* Communicates with student services personnel, faculty and student body groups to exchange information and coordinate activities.
* Assists with hiring, training and providing work direction to assigned student workers, peer counselors and volunteer staff. Completes performance evaluations and resolves performance issues as needed.
* Maintains currency of knowledge and skills related to the duties and responsibilities.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.