Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Landscape Gardener II
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Landscape Gardener II
Grounds & Properties
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This is a skilled position, responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of campus and other college owned grounds, and general laboring tasks between buildings or between other specified locations. Additional duties as assigned by management.
- Works under the direction of a supervisor with oral instructions, work orders, sketches or related plans to maintain lawns, trees, planting beds, shrubs, flowers, drains, roadways, walkways, parking lots, patio areas and outdoor athletic facilities.
- During winter, participates in snow removal from walks, steps, hydrants, roads and parking lots. In addition also undertakes such related tasks such as salting and sanding of the previously mentioned areas.
- Operates various college owned motor vehicles, construction equipment, and power tools related to the job function, and all other equipment used to undertake the responsibilities of the job.
- Loads, moves and unloads various material, furniture, and equipment as required, both in support of department operations or in coordination with other departments. Must be able to load, unload, or generally handle material such as salt and grounds additives that come in bags weighing up to 80 lbs.
- Must be able to undertake computational tasks related to mixing and applying pesticides or soil additives.
- As situation dictates, may be required to oversee activities of student employees.
- Must be capable of making independent decisions with respect to tree, shrub and flower selection, mowing, pruning or similar gardener activities. Must be further capable of making independent decisions with respect to the application of various pesticides and herbicides.
- Performs mechanical maintenance on department equipment as may be required on a day to day basis.
- Observes all safety requirements, maintains records and inventories as directed or required.
- Police the campus grounds for litter on a daily basis.
- High school or GED diploma.
- Valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts drivers' license.
- Minimum of 3 years of landscape maintenance experience in a similar setting
- Must possess at least 1 of the following:
- Valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator License.
- Valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts Hoisting License with a minimum 2C restriction
- Completion of a minimum of 12 pre-approved credit hours in horticultural training or completion of UMASS Green School.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently move, transport, install, or remove items up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 80 pounds. Employees must frequently use their hands to finger, or feel while operating, activating, using, preparing, inspecting, or positioning various equipment or objects required to perform the job.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to stand, move, traverse, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to ascend/descend, work atop, and traverse while performing essential job duties. The employee is also occasionally required to sit in a stationary position.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
- The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions, work near moving mechanical parts, and vibration.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
- The typical noise level is loud.
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Gardener-1_R0001179
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |