Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Landscape Gardener I
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Landscape Gardener I
Grounds & Properties
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This is a skilled position, responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of campus and other college owned grounds, and general laboring tasks between buildings or between other specified locations. Additional duties as assigned by management.
- Works under direct supervision with oral instructions, work orders, sketches or related plans to maintain lawn, trees, planting beds, flowers, drains, roadways, parking lots, patio areas and athletic fields.
- During winter, participates in snow removal from walks, steps, hydrants, roads, patios, and parking lots. In addition, also undertakes such related tasks as salting and sanding of previously mentioned areas either by hand or using specialized equipment. Must be able to work long duration including overnights and weekends.
- Operate various University owned motor vehicles, construction equipment, and power tools related to the job function, and all other equipment used to undertake the responsibilities of the job.
- Loads, moves and unloads various material, furniture and equipment as required, both in support of department operations or in coordination with other departments. Must be able to generally handle materials such as ice melt, fertilizers or soil additives that come in bags weighing up to 80 lbs.
- Must be able to undertake computational tasks related to mixing and applying pesticides or soil additives.
- Must be able to oversee student help.
- Must be capable of making independent decisions with respect to tree, shrub and flower selection, mowing, pruning or similar gardening activities. Must be capable of making independent decisions with respect to the application of pesticides and herbicides.
- Must be able to perform minor mechanical maintenance of equipment such as filter changes, greasing equipment, sharpening mower blades and checking and filling all fluids.
- Observes all safety requirements, maintains records and inventories as directed or required.
- Must be able to carry out minor irrigation repairs such as changing and adjusting heads and repairing leaks and breaks.
- Must police the grounds for litter on a daily basis.
- Valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts driver's license. CDL preferred.
- Valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator License.
- Valid Hoisting Engineer License with a minimum 2B restriction.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a grounds related position or similar demonstrated experiences.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 pre-approved credit hours in horticultural training or completion of UMASS Green School (must be completed within the first year of hiring). A college degree is acceptable to meet this requirement.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently move, transport, install, or remove items up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 80 pounds. Employees must frequently use their hands to finger, or feel while operating, activating, using, preparing, inspecting, or positioning various equipment or objects required to perform the job.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to stand, move, traverse, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to ascend/descend, work atop, and traverse while performing essential job duties. The employee is also occasionally required to sit in a stationary position.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
- The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions, work near moving mechanical parts, and vibration.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
- The typical noise level is loud.
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Gardener-1_R0001179
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |