Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
*Commitment to Equity and Inclusion*_
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC’s faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Trainer, Career Workforce Preparation
Job Description Summary:
The Skills for Today’s Jobs team encompasses a comprehensive employment preparation, job search, and digital literacy/fluency training program offering online and face-to-face group instruction coupled with individualized career coaching. Course content prepares students for successful transition to employment. Priority populations who face employment barriers are served by instructors with an aim toward increasing equitable employment outcomes and improving career trajectories. The program operates within ACC Student Affairs Career & Transfer Services. The position requires evening and weekend availability as needed to carry out the objectives.
Description of Duties & Tasks
- Teach job search skills and techniques utilizing innovative teaching strategies to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population including, but not limited to, interactive video, online format, and other uses of technology.
- Instruct and prepare ACC’s student body, including experiential learning candidates entering internships or apprenticeships, and members of the community who are re-entering the workforce or re-careering for employment aligned with backgrounds, interests, and credentials.
- Assess wants, needs, skills, and interests using various resources such as Focus-2, Career Coach, and other technologies.
- Devise, plan, and implement coaching strategies to support individuals facing employment barriers (age, disability, digital literacy/fluency, re-entering workforce after extended absence, exiting criminal justice system, socio-economic barriers, or other obstacles).
- Liaison and train internal stakeholders in order to integrate career readiness and job preparation throughout the student experience.
- Facilitate identification and monitoring of mentor, volunteer, internship, and employment opportunities that match students’ needs.
- Coordinate services for students making referrals as appropriate based on individual need to address challenges and position students for optimal success.
- Coordinate job clubs and job fairs. Represent ACC career services in the community to promote the program, increase awareness, identify potential community partners, and outreach to priority populations.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate curriculum through research and remain abreast of leading-edge job search tools and strategies.
- Plans and organizes lesson plans, research/reference materials, syllabi, and other learning aids.
- Compile data for program evaluation.
Required Work Experience
Up to 19 hours/week
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
April 5, 2022
*ACC Benefits Overview*_
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.