Primary Purpose of Position
The Extension Associate provides educational leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of research based, integrative statewide Extension programs that meet the needs of limited-resource and socially-disadvantaged audiences. Delivers training and educational support materials for field staff and their clientele/customers in 4-H STEM, consistent with the philosophy, policy and overall mission, goals and educational objectives of the Cooperative Extension at North Carolina A&T. Specifically, this position coordinates and develops programs for K-12 youth within a designated cluster of counties (Wilson, Pitt, Nash, Edgecombe, Martin, Bertie, Hertford, Halifax, Beaufort, Washington and Warren) to increase skills and competencies in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) that are delivered in community based settings through Cooperative Extension at North Carolina A&T 4-H program and partnerships across the state. This position will be located in Vance County.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
Cooperative Extension at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is an educational outreach organization within the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences. Cooperative Extension at A&T provides researched-based educational information, programming and technical assistance to limited-resource audiences that address a diverse range of issues in four programmatic areas – Agriculture and Natural Resources, Family and Consumer Sciences, Community and Rural Development, and 4-H Youth Development. Together with its partners – North Carolina State University Extension, U.S. Department of Agriculture, state and county governments, a dynamic and resourceful system is formed. In addition to campus operations, The Cooperative Extension Program has professionally staffed offices in almost half of the 100 counties in North Carolina and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.
Requires masters degree from an accredited university in a scientific, engineering, or quantitative discipline; technical teacher education; or educational/instructional technology, computer science or other STEM disciplines.
· In-depth knowledge of state and national trends and relevant data supporting Extension program development for limited resource youth.
· Experience in the design and development of educational training materials for use in community based educational programming.
· Experience in planning, conducting and evaluation of extension or non-formal education programs.
· Evidence of strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.
· Demonstrated ability to engage youth from diverse audiences and settings.
· Ability to initiate and complete program and projects as outlined.
· Ability to interact and gain support from constituencies outside the university such as business and industry, state and federal agencies and non-profit and private foundations.
· Computer literacy (proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Office, etc.)
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities.
· Ability to travel 75% of time, including overnight stays and occasional weekends.
· Must be able to lift and carry training supplies, publications and equipment needed for training programs.
· Have car for travel in instances when a state vehicle may be unavailable and travel deemed necessary
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education
Five or more years of professional experience in science education, STEM programs, youth development programming, curriculum development, or educational methods and evaluation.
Experience planning, implementing, marketing and evaluating educational programs for urban or limited resource youth delivered through 4-H.
Evidence of collaboration/coalition building with schools, youth serving organizations/agencies, institutions of higher education and the scientific community.
Experience in the design and development of educational training materials for use in community based educational programming.