The mission of the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University (HNRCA) is to promote healthy aging through nutrition science to empower people seeking to enjoy long, active, and independent lives. HNRCA investigators examine how nutrition and physical activity play a role in the prevention of the major chronic degenerative conditions and diseases associated with aging.
The Metabolic Clinical Research and Dietary Assessment Unit (MCRDAU) is a 15,000-square-foot HNRCA scientific core that provides the infrastructure to carry out human clinical research studies. The unit supports and facilitates study participant recruitment and retention, as well as all clinical aspects of data and biological sample collection from volunteer human subjects. MCRDAU staff provide nursing, dietary, participant engagement, and study management services, as well as expertise and services in dietary data collection methods, coding, data cleaning and management, and dietary data analysis. The MCRDAU manager and staff work with principal investigators on the design and execution of human clinical and observational studies, participating in the development of dietary intervention sections of new protocols, providing advice on dietary data collection methodologies, producing manuals of procedures and other nutrition-related materials, facilitating approvals by the Institutional Review Board (IRB), and developing new methodologies to improve the collection of dietary data.
What You'll Do
The Manager of the MCRDAU leads a diverse team of experts in nursing, nutrition and dietary science, dietary data collection and assessment, and human study research management that supports the clinical research of HNRCA principal investigators (PIs). S/he has both broad knowledge of human nutrition studies and deep expertise in at least one area of the MCRDAU’s work (nursing, nutrition, dietary assessment, human study research management) and/or significant leadership and management experience in a human-study research environment. The MCRDAU manager provides operational, regulatory, budgetary, and content-based leadership of the unit, working closely with PIs, other HNRCA core unit managers, and MCRDAU staff on many aspects of study design, implementation, execution, and close-out.
- Master’s-level degree or equivalent in nutrition, biomedical science, nursing, data analysis, business, or another related field
- Ten or more years’ experience with human research studies related to nutrition and/or aging, including three or more years’ experience with fiscal responsibility for complex human studies in a grant-funded environment
- Significant experience with clinical study design related to nutrition, physical activity, and/or healthy aging
- Experience with electronic data capture systems (e.g., REDCap)
- Experience successfully leading a team and directly managing staff
What We're Looking For
- PhD, ScD, MD, or equivalent terminal degree in nutrition, biomedical science, nursing, data analysis, business, or another related field
- Three or more years’ experience managing a clinical research facility
Minimum $100,100.00, Midpoint $125,150.00, Maximum $150,200.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.