The Henry and Lois Foster Hospital for Small Animals provides 24-hour care for pets 365 days of the year. Since 1979, we have offered high quality medical care, consultation, referral and emergency veterinary services for the care of dogs, cats and exotic pets. The hospital also serves as the primary clinical training environment for the veterinary students, interns and residents.
What You'll Do
The Veterinary Assistant collaborates with clinicians, residents, interns, technicians and students to provide exceptional patient care and client service in the Small Animal Hospital. The Veterinary Assistant also serves as a clinical liaison to provide clients with status updates and to address any questions they may have.
What We're Looking For
- High school diploma (or the equivalent) and at least one year of related experience.
- Familiarity with medical terminology, veterinary pharmacology and animal behavior.
- Ability to restrain small animals in a safe, compassionate manner.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with co-workers, clinicians, students, staff and clients.
- Enthusiastic, genuine, empathetic and self-motivated professional with a positive, upbeat attitude.
- Pride in and commitment to maintaining hospital floor and front lobby areas.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to learn the electronic medical record system.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Successful completion of a NAVTA-approved Veterinary Assistant Program
- Credentialed as a Certified Veterinary Assistant
- One or more years’ experience as a Veterinary Assistant in a veterinary hospital
- Exotic animal handling skills. Exotic animals include birds, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, rodents, special small mammals (such as chinchillas or hedgehogs), reptiles, and amphibians
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- Work schedule may include providing evening, weekend and holiday coverage.
- This position is considered essential and is required to report to work during campus closings.
- The schedule for this position requires flexibility to insure that adequate patient care is provided without interruption or exception.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity