The Administrative Assistant provides direct, primary administrative support for the President & CEO of the NIU Foundation /Vice President of University Advancement. In addition, this position works in close collaboration with the Director of Board Relations & Chief of Staff for the NIU Foundation to support communication between the President & CEO and internal and external constituencies and to provide oversight to administrative functions within the division.
Serves as the primary liaison between the President & CEO and all internal and external offices and agencies, provides senior administrative and program support to the President & CEO’s direct reports, and acts on behalf of the President & CEO regarding administrative activities. This position is responsible for daily scheduling, provides briefing information to the President & CEO for upcoming meetings, and is the principal liaison with the University President’s Office. This individual is the key contact for coordinating meetings and activities in the President’s suite of offices and is the key contact for major donors, board members, and division directors. Discretion and confidentiality are vital.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Serves as the primary administrative support for the President & CEO of the NIU Foundation and is the liaison between the President & CEO and internal and external partners. Manages the executive calendar, schedules all meetings, and assembles all briefing materials for daily meetings and activities. Assists, coordinates, and orchestrates searches and facilitates all human resource processes. Prepares and routes check requests, purchase requisitions, and travel vouchers. Maintains daily complex calendar and deadlines for routine Foundation business. Coordinates and facilitates activities within the Foundation offices as required by the executive’s schedule and project deadlines. Project manager for various assigned projects, having overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of a project.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Any one or any combination totaling five (5) years (60 months) from the following categories:
(a) college course work in business, finance, accounting or a related field:
* 60 semester hours or an Associate’s degree equals one (1) year (12 months)
* 90 semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)
* 120 semester hours or a Bachelor’s degree equals three (3) years (36 months)
* Master’s degree or higher equals four (4) years (48 months)
(b) progressively more responsible professional, managerial and supervisory experience that included experience in areas such as supervising staff or job function, organizing and coordinating office operations, and performing duties that lead to knowledge of generally accepted office management principles
3. One (1) year of work experience providing executive support (President-level or equivalent).
4. Two (2) years of work experience at a major university-related Foundation or equivalent nonprofit organization.
5. Two (2) years of work experience in a supervisory role.
6. Two (2) of two years of work experience managing projects.
7. Two (2) years of work experience with Human Resources administrative support with varying levels of responsibility including data entry, writing job descriptions and entering payroll.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Bachelor’s Degree Preferred.
2. Preferred five years of executive support experience (President-level).
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Deep, personal commitment to diversity in all forms, the recognition of all individuals to mutual respect, and the acceptance of others without biases. Demonstrable commitment to leading by example, modeling diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the university.
2. Demonstrably strong work ethic and entrepreneurial mentality, including a high-level of integrity, focus and commitment to achieve ambitious goals.
3. Exemplary track record of professionalism, maturity and discretion in the handling of confidential and highly sensitive information.
4. Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written skills. Excellent organizational, supervisory, and mediator skills.
5. Ability to establish priorities, utilize good judgment under pressure, and flexible to handle last minute and unexpected assignments.
6. Must be able to work autonomously and must be a self-starter with a positive and team oriented, can-do perspective, with good judgment and initiative.
7. Must exhibit a thorough knowledge of Foundation and University policies and procedures.
8. High level of productivity and accuracy.
9. High quality mindset with the goal of excellence.
10. Extensive calendaring, heavy use of Microsoft Office and Outlook.
11. Extensive knowledge of all Microsoft products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, OneDrive, and O365.
12. Excellent technology skills and the ability to work productively with tools such as spreadsheets and databases.
13. Extensive knowledge with the NIU Human Resources system.
14. Familiarity with the various aspects of the areas reporting to the President & CEO of NIU Foundation and the university in general.